Help, please: How to hold Single shot shot-gun barrel in vice

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I have a savage single shot shot-gun barrel I'm trying to engrave. I've searched the forum for advice or a picture of one in a vice as an example of how to hold my work to engrave it. Is there a special jig I need to make or is this why gun engraving is hard?:) I plan on engraving 5 inches of the breach end of barrel and 2.5 inches of the front of barrel. Possible a design in the middle on top approximately 3 inches in length. Any help will be appreciated.:big grin:

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to gun engraving!
:)
Yes, engraving barrels is just plain tough. You didn't mention how you engrave. If you are using power assisted tools it makes it tougher. Most hammer and chisel engravers use a stand up vise for this kind of work. There are many set ups that people use and have tried including a potter's wheel style and even some that have a vise mounted vertical with a counter weight.
When I remodeled my bench with a drill press stand I designed it so the top of the vise can be above the bench top and I am able to swing the barrel over the bench for most barrels and it won't hit the microscope stand. The problem is it can't swing past your body so you need to do the cuts in 2 directions. I've even learned to engrave left handed for some of the cuts. The barrels can be done but it always takes a lot longer to do and you need to price it accordingly. I try to talk the customer out of much barrel engraving if possible for the cost but sometimes it is still required.
This is also a good reason to have a BIG heavy vise as well.
Hope this helps.
Rex

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Rex and thanks for replying.:) I'm using power tools with optivisor. Barrel is mounted in a magna block vice. I'll try to get a picture posted when I get home of how I clamped it in the vice. I had a thought earlier to adjust the tension screw and add a little resistance. Last night when cutting the weight of the barrel would sometimes get away from me.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You pretty much need to tighten the drag and I usually reverse the "rubber wheel" on the bottom of the vise to keep the vise level.
Also.. One thing I made a few years ago that works is a portable stand to allow me to stand while doing this. I don't have pictures but I used a PVC toilet flange mounted upside down on a large chunk of plywood. I then had several lengths of PVC to adjust the height and put a slit rubber hose on the top to hold the vise.
It works for standing but the is a bit wobbly. I rest it against the bench for support.
I suppose if this was made from steel or cast iron it could be free standing.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I seem to recall someone using an eye hook in the ceiling and a bit of rope to take the weight of the barrel (one end in vice, rope tied to far end).

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It seems to me that someone used a wheel on the end of the barrel so it would roll on the bench top. If I recall they also use hundreds of loose bearings in a try to roll the vice around. the Edge of the tray supported the barrel I believe-long time ago. I think Barry Lee Hands work space is also capable of rotating barrels under the scope. Check the tread on benches. Fred

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Stand Up Vise

Michael,
Here is a picture of my stand-up vise which consists of four 2x 6's nailed together..cap off one end..fill with bricks, rumble rocks, or concrete, cap off the top & it will be ready to place your vise. This is what I have been using since the early 70's. You could brace to the floor, but I never had to do that.
I have 2 overhead florescent lights. I have been able to cut scrolls with one pass without stopping, by walking around the vise when doing small things like pistols & rifles, & shotgun actions. This is an inexpensive solution, & this is what I show & tell any student who has the desire to work in the traditional hammer & chisel technique. Hope this works for you.
JJ Roberts

Attachments

• jj.vise.website.jpg
    jj.vise.website.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 94