Help, please: I need your help with book suggestions!!! ! (!)

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Greetings everyone,

I'm asking for some help from those of you who have a discerning eye for beautiful engraving.

I'm looking for suggestions for a book(s) that contains high quality photos of the highest quality engraving. A book that contains examples from different engravers of the highest skill levels. I have no preference as to whether the engraved items are guns, knives..etc..

My mother was kind enough to purchase Ron Smiths advanced scroll book after she got wind that I would like it and I'm enjoying it beyond words. It's helping me understand the laws of artwork and scroll design.

That being said, a book with photos of some of the best engraving would help allot being that the art of engraving is a visual art.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
Andy

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steel Canvas by Wilson pretty much covers the spectrum of guns and knives from historical times to present and it's pretty much all high quality, colored pictures. He has done many others that are manufacturer specific as well, ie Colt, Winchester, etc.

Many of these books can be found on abe.com in both new and used condition for a variety of prices.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Books

Andy,As for books there is large list of books on this site some where,someone will help you find it.Ron's book on scroll's is a good start,best on the subject by far. J.J. :thumbs up:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well...
I'm guessing that a real good Christmas present to yourself would be the new American Engravers book due out right about then. I haven't seen it but I know enough about it.
Also, most of the Blue Book Publication books on the Italian Engravers are great too.
FEGA has these for sale as well as others.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Andy

Rogers book will be compulsory :)

My bibles on gun engraving would be.......

British Gun Engraving by Douglas Tate

Fine European Gunmakers by Marco Nobili.

Both are excellent books with lots of close up, high quality photos by some of Europe's best. Coggan, Lovenberg, Grifnee, Hunt and the Brown Brothers to name a few.

Both available here at GRS

Cheers
Andrew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good question, Andy- with lots of good potential answers to choose from. when you narrow it down, let me know- i have a pile of 'em that i've been considering selling. send me a PM & i'll send you a list of what i still have.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You will want the Nimschke engraving book by R.L. Wilson. The first edition is getting up there $$$ however, there is apparently a second (?) edition that is about $100 or so when it can be found.

WL

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andy,

As you can see from the cover of my new book, there is more than guns pictured. While all of the featured artists are gun engravers there is quite a selection of jewelry, knives, hobos, and western gear pictured as well.

You will find that the majority of the hundreds of pictures in the book are large and ideal for study. At 360 pages there is a lot to look at.

I received an advanced copy on Dec 1 that was air mailed to me from the printer and I can say that the quality of the printing is of the highest quality so that you can see the detail of the engraving very clearly.

The shipment hasn't arrived at the publisher yet but we expect it within the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Roger

Attachments

• Book cover.jpg
    Book cover.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 39

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Andy,
As well as the books mentioned you must see Custom Firearms Engraving
ISBN 0-87341-679-1 and ModernCustom Guns, ISBN 0-87341-499-3 both by Tom Turpin.
As others said, all the Italian books are must haves.

DakotaDocMartin

Last edited:

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks so much for all of the useful replies to this question... I need to review all the books mentioned... Roger B's new book sounds very appealing!... as well as all the others.

Thanks everyone!

JJ Roberts

Andy...Are you sure you want to start collecting books? My wife is looking for a local BCA (Book Collector's Anonymous) meeting. :big grin:
JJ

Attachments

• books.jpg
    books.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
  • books2.jpg
    books2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
  • books3.jpg
    books3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 15
  • books4.jpg
    books4.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 15
  • books5.jpg
    books5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 17
  • books6.jpg
    books6.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 14
  • books7.jpg
    books7.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 15

Andrew Biggs

There is an old saying in the amongst the Antique Arms Collectors.

"A good collection starts with a good library"...............and that's true of engraving as well.

JJ......I'll see you at the BCA meeting :)

Cheers
Andrew