I'm starting two new hobbies! (Blackpowder/Engraving)

boredelmo

I am interested in having a little project to consume some time.

The first part will black powder firearms. I am well versed in modern firearms already (at least i think so :p).
I am thinking of purchasing something along the lines of this:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_194&products_id=867

or

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_194&products_id=872

I also have loved playing with dremels since a kid (automobile related). I liked the idea of making things mine.

I have a dremel and nothing else. What is a good bit to use for this kind of metal?

To be honest i don't know the first thing about engraving, just that i want to do it. The only helpful link i have found is this one: http://www.engravingschool.com/private/introduction.htm

I think i want to use a hand pressure push graver? I'm not sure what i just said made sense. Would some kind of bit on the dremel be a better choice? Where could i find either of these tools (affordable please).

I just want to start off simple and learn basics. These BP pistols are cheap enough that i wouldn't mind using them as first projects. I don't expect top notch work from myself, just simple lines, maybe even just a letter or something.

Well I'm eager to learn and very open to all comments.

thanks
Elmer

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Elmer
Hand VS air assist tools is this in a nutshell. Hammer and chisel and hand push= long learning curve. The tools are inexpensive . Air assist tools = shorter learning curve less stress on hands etc. The tools are not inexpensive. Having someone show you the basics would help a lot also. Gook luck Dave

ctree1763

Elmer
The problem with your choice of black powder gun is these resale is very low. I have been dealing in them for about 25 years. I am sure you have heard of Nnational Muzzle Loading Rifle Association at Fiendship Ind. I run the armory and know quit alot on resale of them and how they work. You would be better off chosing a litle better gun to work on. This type resale is real good. http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/img/Arms/S.305.jpg[/URL] Hope this helps.

Rich

Markofx

Choosing first things first

Elmer,

It's great to have the passion for a new outlet for your creativity. Start with tools and knowledge! I'd start by taking your money and investing in a class on engraving. You can get all your questions answered about tools needed, and the knowledge to see where you want to venture from there. Start at the beginning and you can't go wrong.

Good luck,
Mark

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Elmer, hand engravers don't use dremels, at least not for metal engraving. You will use either push, hammer & chisel, or some sort of power assisted.
Those little pistols although relatively inexpensive make a pretty expensive practice plate. Of the 110 or so members in our club I dont know anyone who shoots a duck foot or a derringer or even owns one.You will also find out that you may not be able to hit the "broad side of a barn" even if you're standing inside.The area you will see the most engraving is scratch built flint longrifles and single shot pistols. I suggest you do a bunch of practice plates before trying gun work.
good luck with your new endeavors,
Kent

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
blackpowder/engraving

dremls are for utility work only. get the meeks book, a video or 2, or best ,but more pricey- attend a class. my advice : start by learning push graving and hammer/chisel. this is, afterall, the backbone of all that's done with the power tools. you really cheat yourself not at least giving this a try. the forum will turn you towards the power way of things. that's natural. the power way is faster. for those who earn money doing this-- (most of us), time is money. the first power tool to buy, a grs power hone and graver holder. this will give you correct graver geometry from the start. repeatable tool geometry is very critical to get the feel for what you're doing and the successfol execution of the engraving. good luck:D

webad2006

Elmer,

My advise is listen close, and read twice. I was in your boat about a year ago. I started with hammer and chisal, then quickly realized I needed to develope push graving skills to help, mostly with detail/fine work. Now I have started a new venture with a older model GRAVERMEISTER !...... Wow, definitly different!... I almost threw the #&*! thing out the door after the first hour. Now, just a short month later, I praise it....But still continue to practice the the others. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, get tired of hearing it, then PRACTICE some more. "Don't" confine yourself to any one thing, or any one person's ideas, or you'll never realize just what kind of work you are capable of. I'd say forgo the guns, grab some practice plates, scap metal, junk jewelry, what evers laying around. Scratch on it every day, even if it's only a few minutes. Can't get to your tools? Grab a pencil, and paper. Doodle, Draw, Sketch, whatever you want to call it to keep that connection between your hand's, eye's, and brain as sharp as possible. I've never met such nice, talented, and giving people as you'll find here. So if you are serious, stay tuned, read this, draw, practice daily, and you will see a definite difference. You will be pleased!.......