Info on engraving on box base,age?

Guido.

Hi Members

I would be interested in thoughts about the engraving on this small silver box,looks hand engraved to me, is this correct?

The top edge look machine (engine turned) am I correct ?

I do not know how old or what country it was made in ,not sure if style of engraving gives any clues?

would appreciate opinions.

Regards Guido. IMG_7456.JPG IMG_7457.JPG IMG_7451.JPG IMG_7458.JPG IMG_7446.JPG

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The scrollwork is definitely hand engraved and so is the zigzag border around the top. The guilloche turning under the blue enamel was probably machined. I can't even guess about the age- that style of engraving has been around for over a hundred years.

Guido.

Hi Mitch

Many thanks for your comments ,great to know you feel it is hand engraved,I always feel it is nice touch to have this work on the base of such a small box.
How long would it take do this work?

Kind regards Guido.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i see hand engraving everywhere xcept under the blue panel. the 3-d work over the blue area looks to me to be a lost wax creation. the wax pattern created by hand. jmho

Guido.

Hi Monk

Many thanks for your comments,If as Mitch says the zig zag pattern around the top is hand done ,it seems very accurate to me,very skillful ,(I have heard of the zig zag pattern re engine turning) I did not know it was also done by hand.

Many thanks Guido.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I think even the "guilloche turning" might be wiggle cut, look closely at the image, there is some variation.
Look closely at around the 2 o'clock area.
Seems like it's all, well done hand engraving.
I could be wrong but...

Guido.

Many Thanks Jim,

It is interesting to me that sometimes it seems difficult to tell the difference between ,machine and hand work.
appreciate your comments.

Regards Guido.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Monk

Many thanks for your comments,If as Mitch says the zig zag pattern around the top is hand done ,it seems very accurate to me,very skillful ,(I have heard of the zig zag pattern re engine turning) I did not know it was also done by hand.

Many thanks Guido.
the "zig zag" pattern is actually a very elementary cut used by engravers. it can serve as a textural element, or in the extreme, it can be used to reduce a lot of background material to produce a bit of depth

Latest posts

Sponsors