Inspired by my City - Barcelona,Spain.

mrthe

Whenever I walk for the streets of my city, i can see in many buildings decorative elements that are a great source of inspiration for the engravers and the artists generally, with the permission of Sam, I will be putting in this post photos of these elements that i will find ,i create us well to all.

Will be interesting that each of us by each city show these treasures !

A great Border for Jewellery or Fire Arms :

Scrolls elements:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree, Mrthe!

I sometimes post slideshows called "scrolling through Europe", and, like you, I delight in photographing architectural elements. Barcelona is one of my favourite cities, not only for a great sense of human activity out in the streets, but also because it has that wonderful ring of layers, from the ancient medieval core, near to the port, out through art nouveau, art deco, and into the modern suburbs.

In cities like Barcelona, Prague, Florence, and many, many more around the world, art objects are very public in the streets and plazas. The evidence of history is also very apparent, and the general public must grow up from childhood unable to avoid the long timeline of artistic endeavour.

In North America, the newer occupation from around 1492, if we neglect earlier Viking visits, has resulted in less public art hitting you in the face in daily life. True there are good examples to be found ... New York's Art Deco, etc., but you have to move larger distances to have a collective experience. Please feel free to correct me here.

I divide my time between two continents, being raised in Scotland. For anyone in North America who has not wandered leisurely in Europe, or other parts of this culturally rich planet, I recommend it as a treat to your muse, and for Europeans, I recommend wandering in some of the great spaces of desert and mountain in North America that appear to go on forever. My failing has been that I have not traveled widely enough ..... too darn busy earning a living.

Rod

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is no end to the wonderful archetecture and public art in Europe and the UK. One of my favorites is the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II in Rome. Here is a link to a 360 panorama of the memorial. It takes a little while to load. http://www.360globe.net/italy/rome/in-front-of-the-memorial.html

Some of America's older cities have some really great carved stone, like the National Cathedral in Washington D.C. but as Rod indicated, much of it is spread all over this vast nation.

RB

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the courthouse in my little town is an example of what roger said. the building is smothered inside & out with carving. if done today, that same work would cost a big truckload of money. back then, it was simply "the thing to do".

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
the courthouse in my little town is an example of what roger said. the building is smothered inside & out with carving. if done today, that same work would cost a big truckload of money. back then, it was simply "the thing to do".
I've got two fork lifts. I can easily unload that truckload of money, if they want to build a similar building now. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors