interesting movie

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
http://signpaintermovie.blogspot.com/

a documentary about sign painters/painting. my wife & I caught the Asheville showing last night and it was well worth 2 hrs & $10 apiece. it's being screened here & there around the country (check the website)- we'd highly recommend it if it comes to a theater near you. i suppose it will eventually make it to DVD...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i was young, i did such the old way. now i'm old and must do it the new way. doesn't make sense, does it ?

Andrew Biggs

My goodness, that brings back some memories.

Thanks for the heads up, Mitch. I see it is even coming to New Zealand in September. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cheers
Andrew

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
http://signpaintermovie.blogspot.com/

a documentary about sign painters/painting. my wife & I caught the Asheville showing last night and it was well worth 2 hrs & $10 apiece. it's being screened here & there around the country (check the website)- we'd highly recommend it if it comes to a theater near you. i suppose it will eventually make it to DVD...
Now free online through their website.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm glad to see this thread resurrected. a couple years ago i even paid to stream it and really enjoyed the extras, too.

Jim P

That’s very interesting to me. Thought i was probably one of the few people involved in engraving with a background in the sign business. Engraving is my passion but a guys has to eat. Owned road construction company in Alaska for many years. We had large appetite for road signs and other contractors the same. Between cost for signage plus shipping plus time it takes to ship had no choice but to make my own which lead to people thinking i was a sign shop wanting door signs and business signs and the typical commercial sign and before you know it I’m in the sign business! Had no clue what I was doing but people paid the bill and seldom complained and I could pay my bills. Wound up being Avery Dennison dealer for Alaska, also distributor for Avery and Stimsonite reflective sheeting and pavement markings. Alaska highway signs supply contract for 6 years. All this time had my engraving bench set up in the corner

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In high school I was assigned to a sign painter through DCT (Diversified Cooperative Training) where I went to classes until noon and the worked with a company in the afternoon. I learned a lot from working with him and I guess he was pleased with me as it wasn't too long before I was working on my own, designing and painting signs under his final approval. Those were the days!