Question: Internet Blackout

cloutier

Hi everyone,.. Has anyone heard of this PIPA or SOPA the Internet is blacked out on many sites. Sorry if its common knowledge but I'm not great with this (fancy thinking box) and don't watch TV. I was curious if it would affect this site and others like it?.....
Thanks,
Ronald Cloutier

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
unless you use wikipedia, i think all is safe. this is simply a protest of sorts to discourage initiating controls of the internet.

truehand

cloutier

truehand
the second video is worth the 14 min watch and got my attention.....im all for copyright protection, but isn't it already illegal? why not enforce the laws we have instead of just writing more....im going to pay attention to this one.....thanks again for the videos
Ronald Cloutier

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My biggest problem with this whole thing is that if our gov even gets a toe in the door, whichever party is in control at the time will be able to completely control the propaganda machine through rules and regulations. The only side of any story you will ever hear is the side they want you t hear.

Yes I know the bills are primarily being introduced as copyright protection but I guarantee you every politician for it has an agenda in the back of their mind to use it for political gain through media control. I guarantee it.

My 2 cents.

Ray

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
hey, anybody want to discuss engraving ???
The problem with these bills is it makes it very easy for large corporations to force a site like this one to be shut down and they would have a mechanism to block the DNS. All it would take is one user posting one copyright image. On forums like this (and others I'm on with 5000 to 7000 posts a day) the mods would suddenly have to spend all their time searching all the posts to edit/delete/censor anything that could possibly run afoul of the law.

Even if this site was in full compliance, some government agency, company, or person with deep pockets and an agenda, could file a lawsuit that would be way too costly for Sam to defend against.

So, the law really does directly impact your question, if anybody here wants to discuss engraving in the future they had better pay attention to this law.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
they had better pay attention to this law.
PIPA and SOPA are separate House and Senate bills that don't become law until both are passed. They have been tabled due to lack of consensus. The Internet wasn't blacked out......several sites did so on their own in protest.

Latest posts

Sponsors