Introduction

Metalshaper

Greetings,

Newbie here, and by the looks of some/all of your work,, I am WAY in over my head!:eek:

I'm called Metalshaper. Mainly because I am interested in and build Muzzle loading rifles, almost entirely from scratch. I usually buy barrels, but have worked on a few gundrilling experiments, to make a couple of barrels. and have helped build/use a couple of different rifling rigs. Pretty much self taught at everything.. Have learned to Blackmsith, knifesmith, machining ( lathe and now mill ) and whatever else I need to do.

By now your asking what that has to do with engraving?? The ultimate goal, is to also be able to fancy up the rifles and such, by adding some engraving to my projects. I've been slowly working, at trying to learn to do some hand engraving. I've also mucked about with some chased work. I built my own engravers ball, using a cut down bowling ball and a small Drill press vise. Forged some chasing gravers, out in the backyard smithy.. and made a few smaller hand gravers, using some HSS pieces I purchased.

attempting to learn this, on my own, is a bit of a challenge. I know I need to work on wrapping my head around proper graver geometry.. and then to get a LOT more consistent with my sharpening. I am learning a new respect for patience though :) getting to know "when " its time to walk away!! I have a notebook and practice drawing my scrolls and leafs and trying to lay out borders and such.

Anyway,, figured I'd let you know what kind of character,, will be lurking around in the shadows!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome,
I can't imagine anything more rewarding that building a rifle from scratch then being able to engrave it yourself.... very cool and very satisfying.

They call me Dennis mainly because that's my name ;).... again WELCOME.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Metalshaper and welcome!

There are many characters who lurk around here - that's what makes it so interesting. :) There are quite a few black powder gun guys as well, so you will be in good company.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done maybe 150 or so front stuffers. by that, i mean just the engraving part.
e-mail jayismonk450@gmail.com cell 724-328-4951 welcome here. some newcomers are afraid of stupid questions. there is only 1 stupid question, and that's the question you're reluctant to ask. most anybody here will help you. spend some time reading this forum. it takes time, but here, time is knowledge.

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome, to one of the friendliest forums in the world. Spend some time looking at the tips archive, tutorials, and photo gallery. They're all levels of engraver here from beginner to master. And all willing to help.

Jeff

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome metalshaper, pull up a chair, get a cup, and join in.

Take your tool geometry very seriously or you will waste a lot of time and get frustrated with it. I know, I learned it on my own also. No one to help, but I had to get it. It was going to be my occupation. It took me about ten years to get consistent with my tool sharpening (by hand). You can get it here in a few minutes with all of the help and a few modern tools. Let me warn you though, It is a consuming fire once you become slightly good at it.

Good luck!............. Ron S

Metalshaper

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I hope I can eventually be of some use to the group. Like I said a newbie,,so I'm on a Steep learning curve!

I Mentioned building BP guns and wanting to get that something extra, on the finished product. I've attached a pic ( not bad for a newbie?:) ) of the latest gun I just finished. This one is a more modern version of an under hammer, percussion rifle. and you can see by the brass frame,, this one is just begging, to be engraved!

There are some others,, but I don't want to bore you with the non 'Cafe' , part of my hobbies!

Again,, Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
welcome metalshaper, glad to have you with us
p.s. on this forum there is no such thing as non-cafe we would love to see your work:) cheers

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
2 football fields of brass there. lots of room to play. if i can offer a friendly tip: when you're confident enough to begin the real work, do the engraving on the parts before assembly. the engraving is way easier that way. this is quite elementary, but some newcomers forget to do it that way. very best of luck

Metalshaper

2 football fields of brass there. lots of room to play. if i can offer a friendly tip: when you're confident enough to begin the real work, do the engraving on the parts before assembly. the engraving is way easier that way. this is quite elementary, but some newcomers forget to do it that way. very best of luck

Monk,

Yeah, big old chunk of brass and that's for sure! but for the most part, that UH is easy enough to take apart whenever I get up the courage to try and engrave it!

This new pic, of another build, is a bit more subdued in comparison. this is my "Miss Muley" a take-down, back action, Mule Ear percussion ( side slapper to some ) that I designed and built. The lock is my own creation and everything except the barrel and the guard casting, I made myself. ( This one was done with mainly a hacksaw, a drill press, chisels and files.. Oh, and a lot of time :) Since then, I have gotten a few more tools ! )

Like i said, there is room on each of them, for a bit of fancy!
but there is also a lot more practice.. ahead of me!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper