Iron Inlay Seminar follow-up for issue #80

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The next issue of The Engraver will have a follow-up article to the seminar I gave in Reno last January. Those who attended or bought the dvd will remember the floorplate I had on hand with the outline of a fox cut into it. I demonstrated inlaying iron for the lower legs among other things.

Here is a photo of the floorplate as it stands today, ready for final detailing. The areas marked in red indicate where I have placed some 88 pieces of soft iron. There are several photos with the article to show the steps taken.

I was doing a scroll study for this at the time Phil and Alain were posting their sculptured work and I was encouraged to dig deeper. I didn't go as deep as they go but did double my depth to about .015 of an inch and it really livened up the scroll. Now, if I could only afford one of Andrew's Excagravers!

I hope to have the finished floorplate in Reno this coming January. Regards...

TOS

Attachments

• fox prog 10.jpg
    fox prog 10.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 238

monk

Staff member
sam, that surely is a hot looking job. a joy to look at, for sure !

Andrew Biggs

When Sam was engraving the floor plate I was making up the carved pendant at the same time. So we were e-mailing each other to and fro with progress shots every couple of days and swapping ideas about the carving process and background techniques plus the ways of finishing the work…………….it was a great exercise and I learnt a lot.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the floor plate in Reno Sam.

Cheers
Andrew

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

The extra depth gives it a completely different look. when you are the executioner both styles turn out terrific. 88 inlays.............? Have you no life!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Thanks Monk. Andrew, I enjoyed the exchange of info and ideas and learned from the experience. Hope we can do that again sometime soon.

Lee, if I had your artistic talent I wouldn't have to resort to such trickery. Luckily my counting ability doesn't wear thin until the century mark.

TOS

Latest posts

Sponsors