Question: Is a used pantograph engraver the right machine for me?

6653man

I have a custom machinery business and am interested in engraving simple plastic name plates for the buttons on the machines. I understand that this was done with pantograph engravers for many years, but is now commonly done with CNC engravers or even lasers. I'm not intending to spend more than $1,000; otherwise it isn't economically practical. I have found what appears to be a well cared for New Hermes Engravograph with fonts for $700. I am also seeing small cheap Chinese made CNC's for similar cost, but I'm wary of them. I have also seen 40W CO2 laser systems on Ebay for under $600. The CNC and Laser are enticing, but the New Hermes seems like the safest bet. Is $700 too much to spend on it? Can anybody give me an opinion or advice? Thank you in advance!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you are not in a hurry you can do a little better. (I saw you looking at my old post in the BUY/SELL earlier today - wondered why, now I know)

$700 is not bad price, depending on the machine, (whether or not it is motorized) condition, fonts and any accessories.

I just think you could do better. The problem with the best deals on ebay and elsewhere is the shipping...

Best to find one within driving distance, where the seller will let you SEE firsthand what you are paying for, and then take it home yourself.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i do cnc rotary, laser, or panto motorized for all manner of electrical, plumbing, and industrial tags. panto will serve you
well-- that is if the fonts are suitable such as block. check the tips section-- i put info there on how to make your own custom templates. useful for all manner of dial plates.
beware-- a friend bought a new chinese made vinyl cutter. he made 5 small signs with it and it soon lost tracking ability. not only that, the device that held the cutting blade cracked .i sold him a used usa made plotter i had for 800 bucks.still operational 2 years later. caveat emptor, my friend.

Last edited:

6653man

Thank you for your advice. I didn't go for the $700 price, but neither did anybody else. I'm hoping they'll re-list it at a slightly lower price. I don't need to be too much less than that.

6653man

Thanks for your advice. It is motorized, so maybe I should have gone for it. No one else did. Hoping they'll re-list a little lower. Thanks again!

6653man

Yes, I'm seeing some success stories, but also soe troubling reviews of the small CNC's. They don't work out of the box. Thanks for your feedback!

Sponsors