Is this a set screw on Victor Vise and how do you adjust it?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have that vise... I think it raises a bearing against the centre post, pulling the plates apart, and thus adjusting the drag on rotation... I think I’m right... but as such it’s sort of a two spead adjustment.

DubC

I have that vise... I think it raises a bearing against the centre post, pulling the plates apart, and thus adjusting the drag on rotation... I think I’m right... but as such it’s sort of a two spead adjustment.
That's what I was thinking it was for, I've tried to us a flat head screw driver to turn the inside screw but won't turn. Any idea what type of tool is required to adjust the drag?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my victor doesn't have that. chutybears' answer seems about right to me.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
perhaps a impact screwdriver...........ah right tight/left loose? Seems logical, but testing will confirm. I will let you all know. Rob

papart1

the outside double tapped nut is left
hand to remove it from the bottom part of the vise section, the center
part of the nut is a right hand tap for the slotted screw that adjusts the bearing . My vise in that area, the double tapped unit I think has a burr problem and I am still investigating

papart1

do not use a impact screwdriver, I got it broke loose BUT it spread the slot and now I have to close it for the proper insertion.

Meshach

The outside part is a spanner nut, it is a form of lock that puts the set-screw in a bind to prevent it from moving on its own, you will need a spanner screwdriver (a screwdriver that is missing the center part of the blade) that fits the outside ring, once loosened it should allow the adjustment screw to be turned easily. Normally a locking spanner nut is only internally threaded and binds against the shoulder of the threaded hole and is loosened as any other bind nut in the same direction as the thread of the set-screw, but from what Papart said it seems to be double threaded which may mean how it's built it could need to be turned either right or left handed to loosen it and it is possible that turning it too much in the right direction could also re-set the lock in the other direction, you will have to go by feel and experimentation..

DubC

The outside part is a spanner nut, it is a form of lock that puts the set-screw in a bind to prevent it from moving on its own, you will need a spanner screwdriver (a screwdriver that is missing the center part of the blade) that fits the outside ring, once loosened it should allow the adjustment screw to be turned easily. Normally a locking spanner nut is only internally threaded and binds against the shoulder of the threaded hole and is loosened as any other bind nut in the same direction as the thread of the set-screw, but from what Papart said it seems to be double threaded which may mean how it's built it could need to be turned either right or left handed to loosen it and it is possible that turning it too much in the right direction could also re-set the lock in the other direction, you will have to go by feel and experimentation..
Thank you, that's just what I finally figured out.

papart1

The outside of mine is left hand thread and it tightens the center fixture for the lead screw..........then the adjustment screw( right hand) goes into it

Latest posts

Sponsors