Japanese Inlay Technique.

Daniel29

Since this technique is used to make jewelry like chain pendandt i wonder, what kind of steel is used then? Or do you use Silver for jewelelry then? And if so, what kind of silver? 500er or fine silver?

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Daniel. For jewelry I typically use either .925 sterling, or fine silver. For appliqué on steel I'd use sterling. My other gig is firearms work where I regularly silver solder steel parts together for jobs where welding would be too destructive, or aesthetically awkward. I imagine you could use any just about any steel for jewelry work depending upon the end product and finish you're after.

Daniel29

Thank you for your answer, Michael!

I mean jewelry especially with this technique of japanese inlay. I could imagine that silver might be to soft to hold the metal properly? But i cant imagine to use any other steel than stainless steel for jewelry.

Does anybody knows if you can use this technique with silver aswell?

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your answer, Michael!

I mean jewelry especially with this technique of japanese inlay. I could imagine that silver might be to soft to hold the metal properly? But i cant imagine to use any other steel than stainless steel for jewelry.

Does anybody knows if you can use this technique with silver aswell?

The steel usually used is mild steel(1018). Softer metals can be used but the "teeth" produced to hold the overlay can be smashed do to the softness of silver,copper and brass. Take a look at my final project photo above,it was done on Shakudo, a copper and gold alloy with 4 to 8 percent gold.

TheAsianGuy_LOL

A nice video of the inlay technique! I like the bluing technique they've done, I might try that myself. I do have two questions, the deer horn he uses to inlay the gold is called a punch right? And what tool is he using to smooth out the metal at 1:53? It looks like just a typical pointed scraper.