Question: Just a few questions about bulino...

Hey all,
First off, you guys have been a great help..:)
I have no idea how to go about Bulino engraving....Do i absolutely need a microscope? How do all the experts get the different dark to light shades? Is it just heavier/lighter dotting? Can someone post a picture of the tools they use? Is it a special handpiece? Maybe one of you guys have step by step pictures. I imagine there is a different technique than just the basic stippling that i do. Thanks all :beerchug:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bulino is just the name of the tool. Don't get too hung up on it. Not many Italians use microscopes indeed Firmo Fracassi only uses a hand loupe (I'm sure Barry Lee Hands will correct me if I'm wrong). My father doesn't use a scope either. You don't need a special handpiece. The geometry of the graver is the most important thing. I'm hand pushing a scene at the moment and I often prefer this method with bulino than using air assistance.

There are different styles of bulino and the most common are the dot technique and line technique. The dot style gets different grades of shading by varying the closeness and size of dot. The line style gets differing shades by the closeness and direction of the lines. My preference is for the line technique because I think it's more durable and can be seen better. A lot of the photo's you see of fabulous dot style bulino work are nigh on impossible to see under ordinary conditions.

Chris DeCamillis has produced a fantastic dvd on bulino and how to execute it. If you're serious about the subject this should be high on your list of priorities in my view.

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My friend Marcus is correct, few italian engravers use scopes, just loupes.
Stefano Pedretti uses a scope for some things, but he is the only one I am aware of.
Having just returned from two weeks engraving in Gardone Italy using just a loupe or visor depending on whether it was bulino, or hammer and chisel, I found I did not miss my scope much at all.
I also agree on the recommedation of Chris's DVD, it is excellent.