Just playing around with new canon G12

doug

Just got a new camera been trying too learn how to run it.Here is a practice piece I just finished.Im gonna transfer it to a nickle concho to replace a lost one.
Doug

Attachments

• copper 3 022.jpg
    copper 3 022.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 323

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice picture, although the depth of field could be deeper, as the edges are slightly out of focus. Please post some more pics, as I am looking into buying one of those cameras, and would be very interested in how you like it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's a good shot for sure. As Bruce said, stop the aperture down a bit and see if you can get everything in focus. It's pretty darn good though. Great little camera for the money. It's been replaced by the Canon G1X.

doug

copper 3 020.jpg copper 2 011.jpg Here is one with f stop set at 8 I did not really like it though,and here is another of the original concho.I will have to keep fooling with it till I learn more about it.Bruce Im sure you will like the g12 the gx1 is probably better but its about $800.00 too much for me.
Doug

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
F4 seems to be the sweet spot for sharpness in the G12 lens. Unfortunately f4 doesn't always have adequate depth of field so you have to stop it down. Are you using a tripod for these shots? The one on the left looks perfect! The silver one on the right looks soft. Could be out of focus or camera shake. I think it's just out of focus. Remember that if you stop the lens down from f4 to f8, the camera will compensate and slow the shutter to allow the appropriate amount of light in. In close-up photography, camera shake/higher f-stop and depth of field are obstacles that require a tripod to overcome. You're on the right track, Doug. That left shot is excellent :thumbsup:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice cutting, Doug!

I do like that double border.

When you are up close and doing macro, remember your depth of field is small, so hand held is risky, tripod is better. I also suspect your shots have a bit of camera shake possibly due to the auto exposure going longer than 1/30 seconds? It may look good in the viewfinder, but later on in a big monitor? Sam's the man when it comes to good photo taking tips.

The wood box with a copper practice is a G12 shot, wish I had stopped to clean the box first! Comparing the original shot with the compressed one here, I see a bit of degrade?

Rod

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

doug

Thanks for the info Sam and Rod,Im glad to here that Im on the right track.I do need a tripod and a softbox for sure and there next on my wishlist.You ought too see the setup Im using for now ,canon g12- 5 gallon water bucket with a hole cut in it-my Ikea led light- and a panavice with a 1/4-20 bolt clamped in it for a tripod and me for a photographer.If thats not a testiment to the canon g12 I dont know what is.
Also Rod that copper engraving is amazing all those flow throughs would make me pull my hair out if I had any , know pun intended Sam.

Thanks Doug

doug

Oh ya I forgot to mention I did not like that second picture too well so I chose the other one too post,Guess that shows what I know about pictures.And also the silver concho does not have the scroll backbone cut its just got a liner cut all around and gives the elusion of a scroll I know its cheap silver but I thought it looked kind of neat. The picture does not show it very well though.
Doug

Darren

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Doug, Don't show that silver one to close up. :) It is silver plated, I engraved the master for it about 25 years ago and it's really not some of my best work at all. we where messing with saving time there for we tried doing some things with out a wriggled spine. We would just layout the design and scribe the spine line in. We gave that up along time ago, it didn't look to hot, as you can see.
Your pictures are looking nice. Thats one area I just haven't jumped into yet. So I will be reading with interest.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK Doug, The pics are nice and the engraving is very nice but.................. I was expecting to see a 12 gauge cannon dog gone it.:rolleyes:

doug

Hi Darren I figured somebody on here might have had a hand in that engraving.
I figured it would be somone south of the border as that where my dad buys most of his silver
from and the rest comes from Montana Silversmiths.Hope you dont mind me cutting your design.
I did think it was nickle silver though suprised me that it was plated.

Ray I promise if I get my hands on one I will get a picture of it for you.

Doug

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like your engraving. I wouldn't have guessed that you have only been engraving for a short time.

Latest posts

Sponsors