Ken Hurst "Last Colt"

Tman1162

Attached are a few photos of the last gun the great Ken Hurst engraved. I had the pleasure of reaching out to Ken approximately 8 years prior. Ken ultimately agreed to take on my Colt SAA project. Many conversations occurred throughout time, and many changes happened during the engraving process. Ken was a great pleasure to chat with and a wealth of knowledge. A few months before his passing Ken reached out to me to let me know he was sending the colt back to me 70% finished. Ken was very disappointed he could no longer work on it. Ken and I chatted about who could finish the project and ultimately Ken recommended I should get in contact with Lisa Tomlin, a former student of Ken in his teaching days. Many thanks to Lisa for finishing the work in a style that complimented and honored Ken. Anyhow, a great piece with a lasting memory of the great Ken Hurst and his 50 plus years of dedicated engraving.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 143

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Congratulations on your very special Colt S.A.
Very nice story about Ken Hurst, a wonderful gentleman and fine engraver.
I'm glad Lisa was able to undertake the finishing of the engraving project for you.
Even though she was close to Ken, finishing others work is a monumental job.
I do hope you can get some better lit photographs in the future, and post them.
It would be wonderful to see the details of the work by these two outstanding engravers.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ken was right when he pick Lisa to finish engraving the Colt ,I sure miss Ken and the engrave-in's at his home great times. J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken was right when he pick Lisa to finish engraving the Colt ,I sure miss Ken and the engrave-in's at his home great times. J.J.

Those were great times JJ. I miss them and meeting and sharing stories and advice from some of the best engravers/craftsmen on the East Coast. David cooks a mean bar-b-que!

Latest posts

Sponsors