Kitchen knife engraving

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everybody

A friend of mine has forged this kitchen knife. This is a gift for a Cordon Bleu , some one who’s cooking for 30 years in my kitchen.:)
It’s forged in a rod of 100cr6 steel and has a differential tempering, so the steel is quite soft in the back and I’ve a large area (15X60mm) to engrave.
I took an Utamaro’s print for model. I found it in the Boston MFA web site :
The zoom gives a very nice photo ...

The engraving is made with hand push gravers. I’ve used electrical -etching to remove the background. This technique leaves a uniform grey .

If you can read my Japanese lettering you’ll know my wife’s birth name, can’t you? ;)

Thanks for viewing

Best regards

Jean

Attachments

• Hocho3.JPG
    Hocho3.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Hocho4.JPG
    Hocho4.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Hocho5.JPG
    Hocho5.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 310

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
simple and beautyfull ( the grey background is superb ) what's a electrical etching ??
do you have a photo ??
thanks

santos

Elite Cafe Member
electro etching

Thank you Steve, Andrew, Marrinan, James , Dmitry and Peter and Pierre for your kind words :)

Pierre I’ll try to explain you what is electro etching:

I have read this method in a knives forum in Argentina : You need a Direct Current Power Supply

Output: 3 volts Current: 0,1 A ;
I connect the positive wire on the knife with a crocodile clamp . The copper of the negative wire is rounded on the cotton tip.

I use a very simple electrolyte: 1 spoon of kitchen salt in a glass of fresh water ;)

I soak the cotton in the electrolyte and then I apply it on the metal, where I want to remove the background. You would see a lot of little bubbles around the cotton . In a few minutes you can remove 1 or 2/100th of mm.

Before the electro etching I have applied fingernails varnish to mask the engraving, and I ‘ve put adhesive tape in the borders .

If you want more about electro etching , type it in Google and you’ll find a lot of pages explaining it with an English better than mine …:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Resize of Electro etching .jpg
    Resize of Electro etching .jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 75

jack

Very nice Santos. Will that electro etching work on silver or just steel? Jack

Latest posts

Sponsors