Knife project

Rockingkj

I had purchased this small custom knife. The bolsters needed something and here is the result. Looks best at arms length. Mis-punched two back ground hits grr

Attachments

• IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7437.jpeg
    IMG_7437.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 127

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like what you did here. i would have used a punch somewhat smaller than the one you chose to use. just a rude-- unsolicited opinion.

Rockingkj

I would like to have a smaller punch. So far this is as small as I have been able to make with a bit of cup to it. Suggestions? Not taken as rude at all.

Rockingkj

Have since experimented with fine line background and liking the way it looks on my practice plate. In retrospect cloud have done that.

Attachments

• IMG_7440.jpeg
    IMG_7440.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 46

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
Is that by chance a "Bob White" knife, an Illinois maker in the '80s? Looks like his stamp.

Rockingkj

From what I have been able to find appears to be a Bob White knife. Are you familiar with his knives?

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
From what I have been able to find appears to be a Bob White knife. Are you familiar with his knives?
I knew Bob from Chicago-area shows back in the '80s; had one of his knives at one time but gifted it. Nice man, I liked him.

monk

Staff member
I would like to have a smaller punch. So far this is as small as I have been able to make with a bit of cup to it. Suggestions? Not taken as rude at all.
you can get entire sets from very small to the max. sometimes available on ebay for just a few bucks. saves the time needed to make your own.

monk

Staff member
the scales appear to be ivory. there's a tiny crack that shows in the one foto. the crack makes me think it's ivory.

Rockingkj

you can get entire sets from very small to the max. sometimes available on ebay for just a few bucks. saves the time needed to make your own.
Those punches are they advertised as engravers punches? The handle of the knife is man made material, micarta i think. The crack looking places is scratches in the material. Wish it was ivory.

Meshach

Those punches are they advertised as engravers punches? The handle of the knife is man made material, micarta i think. The crack looking places is scratches in the material. Wish it was ivory.
they are a jewelry "beading" tool used for setting stones
if you search for "gem beading tool" or "gem setting beading tool" they should come up. quite a few different sizes, you can search by specific size once you know what size you want, I'm not sure exactly how the sizing works, haven't really looked it up, but an Amazon search for them shows a No. 10 as .75mm

Rockingkj

they are a jewelry "beading" tool used for setting stones
if you search for "gem beading tool" or "gem setting beading tool" they should come up. quite a few different sizes, you can search by specific size once you know what size you want, I'm not sure exactly how the sizing works, haven't really looked it up, but an Amazon search for them shows a No. 10 as .75mm
Thank you!

bud2

A crack has nothing to do with it being ivory. Look under magnification, for ivory there should be an 'engine turned effect'. From the photo, it looks to me to be bone.

Bud.

monk

Staff member
uh, sorry. i stand correcred