Knifemakers.....

Hi all,

I am working on getting my first few knives finished, finally. Trial and error has stretched this process over a few years, but anyway the real question is, although there is some engraving involved, I have some knife-specific issues and am wondering if anyone knows of a good forum for knifemakers? Something like this where tips and work examples are shared and info can be gleaned for beginners?

I appreciate any advice.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
The knife Network.Blade Forums.Bladesmith's Forum.British Blades.These should help.

Thanks guys! I can't seem to get the link to the knife network to work, however I just set up an acct at Blade Forums and it looks great so far, a lot of high craftsmanship in the gallery area.

Lee, i just wrote to Gil but the email was returned. Do you think it is an old one?

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
One of the best ways to get advice is to visit a knifemaker in your area. There are a number of makers in the Pheonix area. There is a listing of makers by state/city in the back of the "Knives 2009" annual which you can purchase through Amazon or even simply go into a large bookseller and peruse.
Forums are great places to help you with your craft, but, like engraving, a face-to-face visit can really cut the learning curve. Most knifemakers are quite willing to welcome you into their shop for a visit.

One of the best ways to get advice is to visit a knifemaker in your area. There are a number of makers in the Pheonix area. There is a listing of makers by state/city in the back of the "Knives 2009" annual which you can purchase through Amazon or even simply go into a large bookseller and peruse.
Forums are great places to help you with your craft, but, like engraving, a face-to-face visit can really cut the learning curve. Most knifemakers are quite willing to welcome you into their shop for a visit.

That is what I was thinking as well. I couldn't have learned what I have learned about jewelry manufacturing from books and websites alone. All my training was done sharing shop space and tools with a master designer or jeweler. I will look into that list, thanks Fitzo.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Both of the knife forums listed above are a great place to hang out and learn, I've been a member of both for several years. Dwayne

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Gil Hibbin is a really nice guy and one of the first knife makers. He has been around a long time. I met him a few times at gun shows in the 80s. You will like him.

adammichael

Does that mean I can come and visit you in your shop?

Michael
www.adammichaelknives.com

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Michael, I am a knife maker from the old days and the old ways. I only make a few knives a year and they are plain lockback folders. I don't know if I can be of any help but send me an email and I will do what I can. I have written an article on how to make knives for the beginer that has pics in it and I will gladly send it to you free of charge if you want it. Here are a couple of pics of what I have done. I am not much of a camera person though. Mack.

Attachments

• Padauk handle 1 Small Web view.jpg
    Padauk handle 1 Small Web view.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Project2 Small Web view.jpg
    Project2 Small Web view.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Project1 Small Web view.jpg
    Project1 Small Web view.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 29

Sponsors