kudos to the Lindsay Palm graver

I just recived my new Lindsay palm graver. I have owned the classic version for about three years now and have been quite satisfied with it. Due to an ankle injury, I have been having some endurance issues with using a footpedal for some time now and the prospect of "palm control" has been enticing.

As I become more familiar with this tool, I am amazed by the overwhelming feeling of freedom that comes from eliminating the footpedal (and the accompanying physical and mental distraction that goes with it). This is much more than just relief from ankle pain; this is about a more fluid and relaxed channeling of the engraver to the engraving (from the artist to the art).

I most likely will never go back to a footpedal device again.

I cannot thank Steve Lindsay enough for this intuitive contribution to my personal workspace. I am quite sure it will prove to be the most treasured tool in my arsenal.

Gail Williams
Hand Engraver
Williams Flutes
Boston, MA

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gail that's great that the palm control worked out for you with your injury. Being a Goldsmith/Diamond setter, I have been using the pedals of my flex shafts for so long and on my GRS equipment I don't know if I could get used to any palm control. I'm able to use either foot to run the pedals if I need to, I guess that's good. I have tried both GRS's and Lindsay's and both seem to work very well. There seems to be quit a price difference between the two. The Lindsay seems to be nice and portable especially if you do shows, and GRS's has the plus of being able to put the control where ever is comfortable for the user.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok Mike being a old Pa Guy and Lindsay user. I am confused the Lindsay Palm Control Airgraver controls are in your hand except for the air pressure. This is not a tool war I just dont understand the comment thanks Dave

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave I thought my comment was pretty straightforward. I understand where the controls are. After trying both, they both seem to have their own benefits. The short time I used them I didn't feel much difference between the two. I'm not condoning or promoting either one.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
I would very much like to purchase your used classic if you are no longer using it.I currently use a N'Graver and its quite heavy and with arthritis my hands fatique quickly..Congratulations on the Palm control, It is one sweet tool.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would be curious to know how many of us have made the switch from foot pedal to hand actuated handpieces.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, I think what Mike meant is that the Air-Tact has a wider range of adjustment for the actuator. The Palm Control uses the entire face of the "mushroom" whereas the A-T uses a small button on the mushroom to start the tool moving. This button can be rotated around to different places, like the swell of your thumb, or crack in in your palm or the swell on the other side of the crack. (I'm not that up on hand nomenclature, sorry). the button the A-T can also be adjusted in height relation to the surface to give you a slower or quicker feel to the start up in a similar fashion to the PC adjustment. Both setups are quite useable to engrave with in any configuration. The pro will tune his handpiece to the feel that he had before, or always wished he had; whereas the beginner not knowing any different will learn to use it in the standard setup as it came out of the box. To me the big advantage of the PC, is a nice clean workspace. A small hose and that's it. It's a sweet setup. The big disadvantage is the expense. Conversely the big advantage of the A-T is the better price. I am sure there will be many foot-less engravers in the future because of the ability to uprgrade Gravermax's to the A-T configuration much more economically even if it does require a few more inches of bench space somewhere.
Of course both units do have other features that are lacking in the other. Such is life among competing products. the main thing is to use them and create beautiful things. Which is what I'm fixing to do right now, since my bench elves, did'nt do a blasted thing last night.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Scott
Since I have not used the AT I was not aware of the controls on the unit. If you can find any design elfs send some my way.:)

Latest posts

Sponsors