Laser "engraved" Beretta

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam, I agree with your post above. The 1911 grabbed your attention and would do the same for many people seeking an engraved/ decorated firearm.
I think in the future someone will come up with a CNC driven pantograph with a rotary V-point tool and that can vary the depth/width of cut and also be leaned to the left or right.
This cutter movement will produce a very close simulation of a flair or beauty cut.
The platform holding the part to be engraved can be vertically CNC controlled to vary the depth of cut by the V-point rotary cutter.
If such a CNC program is developed by an art trained engraver the results would be very hard for the general public to distinguish from regular decent handcut engraving.
Like the 1911 grabbed your attention, work cut by that kind of pantograph program will really put the cat among the pigeons when it come to everyday shootable, non-high grade art engraving.
The cost of such a program would preclude it from being used on one-off or small run batches.
Therefore it would not adversely effect the high art market or one-off's but would be tough on the lower end of the spectrum. Just my rambling thoughts.

Last edited:

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Personally I think the design is pleasing but the ‘cuts’ are flat and two dimensional. I agree with John and Mike, until a laser or CNC can mimic a shade cut that starts whisper thin and finishes deep and bold or cut a leaf edge that rolls inward then it will never replace the work accomplished by so many on this site.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank for the link Roger. It is a lovely pistol and I too would have taken a second look. I wonder if the "punch dot" work was truly punched or done by the laser, probably the latter. Whatever the case, it would be a great firearm to take to a match and actually use as it was intended.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Old thread I just stumbled on, the Beretta link from the original post is broken, but I found it on their site. Scroll down for the photos. They look strange to me- maybe just the lighting or some photoshop enhancement, but to my eye they look more like computer simulations, "virtual" renderings, rather than actual photos of real guns.

Grayson

5 axis laser technology .... A laser engraved Beretta for just under $20K.

Per the marketing dept.
STUNNING ENGRAVING
Renaissance-style motifs, a modern technique
The engravings on the Beretta SL3 are an evolutionary achievement made possible through the development of a cutting-edge technological process, developed within Beretta, a 5-axes laser system. Designed to deliver what has been impossible: the ability to cover rounded surfaces with unprecedented continuity of pattern and stunning accuracy in design. Our master engravers and our innovation lab put their experience to work and delivered timeless engravings with a touch of modernity.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/sl3/
That link did not work for me. Try this one: https://berettagallery.com/premium-guns/sl3/SL0282A

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John. Still dialing it in.

The amount of time for laser specific design and set up is literally mind numbing. When I invested in a fiber laser, I anticipated a fairly smooth learning curve, and relatively easy adoption of the technology.

Believe me when I tell you, the learning curve is steep, there aren't any shortcuts, this is a discipline unto itself, and if you want to achieve anything even close to hand engraving, you'd better be able to design and cut anything by hand you intend to cut with a laser.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Michael, thank you for the info on the tech learning curve for high grade laser engraving.
I have long admired your tech knowledge, as well as you artistic ability.
Being tech challenged myself, if you say it's tough, it's tough.
Best of luck with the learning.