Latest Engraving

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just received this photo from Johnny Stout this evening, He has been gracious enough to let me engrave another one of his fine folders, This knife was beautiful without the engraving but he wanted something to go along with the theme of the Feather pattern Damascus he & Harvey Dean made and the Mammoth tooth scales and here's what we came up with. The Damascus is awesome! Johnny said the customer that spoke for it loves it, so I'm tickled. Johnny has been a huge help to me for 20 yrs now, He's a great guy & a good friend.

Thanks for looking, Dwayne

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice design that matches the pattern in the damascus superbly.

I would be happy too if I were the owner.

Thanks for showing it.

Peter

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, I'm stumped!

The entire knife is fabulous, but there is something I don't understand. The scales are also damascus, correct? So why doesn't the damascus pattern show through the engraved design? Are all the leaf patterns an inlay of silver or another smooth grain steel? "Inquiring minds want to know."

Keep showing these great works,

Mark

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the comments guys. Mark, the bolsters are damascus, they were sent to me sanded smooth and unetched. In other words, they just looked like sanded steal. I put my design on, engraved them, then painted the engraving with fingernail polish then etched them in acid. The acid will not eat through the fingernail polish, only the clean steal. So what ever you want to mask off on damascus to keep the damascus pattern from showing is up to the designer or artist. Really helps you get neat borders and affects.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well dang, ya larn' somthin' every day! I was totally unaware that damascus needed to be etched to make the pattern appear. I thought you could see it whenever it was surfaced. Thanks for the info.

Mark

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dwayne.
Very, very nice. It all fits really well and flows from one end to the other. It's always a real pleasure to see a collaboration of two artists like a knife maker and an engraver come togeather and create one beautiful peice.

Cheers
Andrew

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for all the kind words. I'm really enjoying the engraving. And this forum is a great place for us beginners. I appreciate all you guys teaching and sharing with us. Dwayne

Guarnera

That is really great. I love your Engraving and Johnny is sure making some beautiful knives. I love that feather pattern too. I just took a liner lock course and also just learned how to make the feather pattern also. Damn, I need to get in the shop and make some knives.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your support Greg, but if you're a fan of mine, you need to get out more :eek: :D Thanks for the kind words, I love the buckle you did, Cutting & Thought! Thanks for posting it! Dwayne