Latest knife

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Here's the knife with engraving about which I asked your input before. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to do one more redraw, but luckily for me the banner almost hides the trouble spots :).

One thing I learned from this project - I made the design too messy and too small for the bolsters. That kind of design would probably look better on the surface twice the size. More chance to shade etc.

As usual, all your comments and critique is more than welcome!

P.S. I just noticed that few days more than one year ago I became a member of this forum knowing absolutely nothing about engraving. So, I guess happy anniversary to me :).

I must say it's been a great-great year full of learning from the best of the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 142

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Vilts,

Indeed a happy anniversary!
Wauw, just one year into engraving and good already.
Your knife brought back the memory of a litle folder I once had. I engraved it with pushgraver's 14years ago.
I stil remember the grainy bolster metal. Easy to dig in to deep.
Pitty I lost it a few years ago. Though I wouldn't dare show it to you if I stil had it.

Love to see your next project.

Daniel

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts,
That knife is very cool!
Your skills have increased by leaps and bounds during the course of this year and I can't wait to see what you come up with next year.

Congratulations!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking good Vilts!

Once again I see a very happy person in the near future - sure seem to be a lot of those around here. :)

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Work harder this year.study others works and find what it is that apeals to you.Use your pencil moreDraw simple designs but do them to prefection.Good work for a beginner.Happy aniversary

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

I will echo the other's remarks and say that is very fine work for someone with one year's experience and self taught at that! I am looking forward to meeting you at the Engrave-In.

Roger

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your kind words. It has been indeed a great learning year and as I watch what could be done in engraving I know I have still more of those years ahead of me. But at least I know what could be done.

I will echo the other's remarks and say that is very fine work for someone with one year's experience and self taught at that! I am looking forward to meeting you at the Engrave-In.

Roger, actually I'm not really self taught. I took GRS basic class from Sam last June and he sort of gave me a kick in the rear and got me moving (really fast, I must say!). So for the past 10 months I've been living off of that 1 week course. To find out all I learned 1 week from Sam would take, I believe, at least 1 year of frustration and hundreds of forum posts by myself :).

I'd be nice to meet you at Engrave-In. I believe it'll be loads of fun and lots of questions from me to all those accomplished engravers.

Work harder this year.study others works and find what it is that apeals to you.Use your pencil moreDraw simple designs but do them to prefection.Good work for a beginner.Happy aniversary

Joseph, this is wise advice, thanks. I will take on the drawing more seriously as of now. Because as I've noticed, even if I can do technically perfect engraving it is still bad when design itself is bad. Over the months I've bought quite a few books about engraving, so fortunately I have lots of resources to learn from, and of course the excellent forum too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors