Latest knifeprosject and thanks to R. Ronnie

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi again forumfriends. Her is my latest knifeprosject. This time I have got fantastic help while cutting the bolster from Masterengraver Roger Ronnie. Many e-mails have been sent between US and Norway during the process. He have been so patient With me, and I know that I have not could do such work without his help. Thank you very much Roger!!! 1.jpg
Knife under process
2.jpg The knife is done With aboyna handles, knifesteel 80crv2, and bosters og ss416. Drawing of the scrollpattern is done. 4.jpg
Most of the outlinecut is done With a lindsay universal point 5.jpg
Background removal With some flats, and a square graver. 8.jpg 9.jpg
Stipling and som shading is done
10.jpg
Knife is finnished
11.jpg
Closeup. The actual pattern is 1,8cm high and 2,5cm wide

Still some minor flaws end errors. The design could also be better, but I am actally a litle bit proud of it. :)

And again I will give a great Thanks to Roger Ronnie who definately have learned me to be a better engraver . Also thanks from you guys in this forum. I have been Reading in "the cafe" almost every day since I signed up.

Hope you liked it

Regards

Jørn-Ove

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Fabulous, Adder! Really outstanding!!!

Love the way you've layered the elements to break up the longer portions of the scroll. Also really like the way you've used a subtle narrow backbone for the elements to grow from along the way.

All in all, really impressive work!

Last edited:

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
A question. Your background removal is outstanding. What methods and procedures are you using to get such a flat clean background?

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
First of all, thank you all for the nice feedback
Goldjockey, For background nothing special. Learned it by reading this forum.I have been using a 96 deg Lindsay and cut paralell lines after recutting the outlines with the same graver.. Then use different size of flat engravers to lever the background. In larger areas, I use the same 96, and a carbide .5 mm bur in a cheap nailpolishmachine from china. I know I should not have written that, but it works :)
Then Try to cleane the edges with 96 again before stiple. I dont know what is the best method, but this works for me

Jørn-Ove

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Joern. As I said, your background work is excellent! I've been using very small flats. A 36 or 37 cut even narrower to allow me to get into tight spots. Rolling the graver at an angle from the outside in from the really tight corners. What is so impressive is that you've gotten the floor so consistently flat and even, with nice clean sidwalls to boot. Very nice!

Latest posts

Sponsors