Latest projects

Davesobel

First of all. nice effort. I`m not an expert, but try to get a better flow next time. First, draw backbones without elbows e.t.c. Then fill in leaves. Leaves and Shadelines should follow the flow. IMHO
Keep drawing and cutting :pencil::graver:

Jørn-Ove
View attachment 51337
Thanks. The style of scroll is actually a particular type of edge treatment and meant to be that way. It’s pretty traditional in American scroll. I’m still working on my shading. At that size it’s pretty tricky especially with only an opti-visor as magnification. I have a much easier time when the leaves are larger as you can see on the other Zippo. Here’s an example of a similar scroll and image combo by Nimschke

Attachments

• E7E014EE-3619-47C0-956D-CF98E5137A71.jpeg
    E7E014EE-3619-47C0-956D-CF98E5137A71.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 56

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. The style of scroll is actually a particular type of edge treatment and meant to be that way. It’s pretty traditional in American scroll. I’m still working on my shading. At that size it’s pretty tricky especially with only an opti-visor as magnification. I have a much easier time when the leaves are larger as you can see on the other Zippo. Here’s an example of a similar scroll and image combo by Nimschke
With this type of border, the angle of your backbones should be less steep. As is, they are sticking out of the border instead of flowing from the border. Lower that angle and you will get a much more pleasing effect.

Hope it helps

Marc

Davesobel

be careful of plated zippos. for that matter, any plated item. even the finest plating can flake away from the cut line. the flaking usually occurs after an hour or two into the job.
Yeah, I’ve heard and read a couple horror stories about that happening to other engravers. It’s definitely not something I plan on doing much. I have a pile of zippos that were sent to me by an old friend for practice. Once they’re done, I’ll stick to plane brass or silver.

StanT

View attachment 51334 View attachment 51335 Hi everyone, I finally have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable enough with my work to post it here. Any constructive criticism is welcome, and thanks for taking the time to take a look.
I like the lighter being held by fingers. Without subjecting it to intense scrutiny and application of formulae and proportion rules, it strikes my eyeball in a pleasant and graceful manner. It would bring a smile each time it's pulled from a pocket.

Latest posts

Sponsors