Question: Lathe chuck as a vise

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
All I do is flat work so I don’t need the ball on my engravers vise except for the weight. Other types of vises are too light. Anybody use a 4-jaw lathe chuck as a vise? A 6” chuck is about 20 lbs and saves over 6” in height, getting the turntable out of your lap. Just wondering if anybody else had the same idea.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
. Anybody use a 4-jaw lathe chuck as a vise? A 6” chuck is about 20 lbs and saves over 6” in height, getting the turntable out of your lap. Just wondering if anybody else had the same idea.

When I was teaching the NRA Engraving classes at Lassen and Trinidad colleges there must have been about a dozen students who used a lathe chuck.
Worked well for them doing flat work and some round work can be held between centers on a modified bar clamp.
I use a modified bar clamp held in either a bench vise or engraver's block to hold shotgun or rifle barrels for engraving anyway.
With adjustable end tension on the barrels I can engrave "over the hump" as I go.
Also works well when inlaying the roll marked lettering on a barrel.

Last edited:

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John. With everybody using a microscope it just seems the standard ball is more a pain than an asset. A lathe chuck is flat, compact and heavy. If you get soft jaws they can be drilled for darn near anything. I like the idea of a sub fixture for round work.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Paul, you can buy various length bar clamps to hold different barrel lengths from Harbor Freight for a few $$$.
With some simple modifications and a vise they will hold round things between centers.

dbeck

I rarely use the 4 jaw so it worked out nicely. I dont use this setup anymore though. I have a more traditional stand and potters wheel. Although I was thinking about setting it up in the back yard for doing work in the winter when its not 115 out. Its peaceful using chasing hammer and it would be nice to work outdoors.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned it as I didn't have a lot of time to read everything over but go check out Steve Adam's Videos on YouTube and check out his lathe Chuck vises he shows. They are pretty awesome. He has 2 I believe and the smaller of the 2 he locks into the larger one for hobo nickles. He has a lot of good tips and custom tools and fixtures he shares. And on top of that he does amazing work

After writting about Steve Adam's Lathe Chuck vises I went back to have another look at his videos because it had been a while since I first watched them. I didn't realize how well done his videos are! The video quality, along with the video angles, closeups and editing are very professionally done! I can't believe he didn't package the videos up and sell them. (they are that good!) I really wish Steve had continued with the videos but I think he was just a few years ahead of his time on YouTube. I have no doubt if those were done today he'd have so so many appreciative engravers praising his work and knowledge sharing. Side note, His tool making skills along with explanations and close ups of the tools is amazing.

After writting about Steve Adam's Lathe Chuck vises I went back to have another look at his videos because it had been a while since I first watched them. I didn't realize how well done his videos are! The video quality, along with the video angles, closeups and editing are very professionally done! I can't believe he didn't package the videos up and sell them. (they are that good!) I really wish Steve had continued with the videos but I think he was just a few years ahead of his time on YouTube. I have no doubt if those were done today he'd have so so many appreciative engravers praising his work and knowledge sharing. Side note, His tool making skills along with explanations and close ups of the tools is amazing.
Sorry if someone has already mentioned it as I didn't have a lot of time to read everything over but go check out Steve Adam's Videos on YouTube and check out his lathe Chuck vises he shows. They are pretty awesome. He has 2 I believe and the smaller of the 2 he locks into the larger one for hobo nickles. He has a lot of good tips and custom tools and fixtures he shares. And on top of that he does amazing work
Last reply, here is the link to Steve's video which is an intro to Hobo Nickle carving tools and coin engraving.
Good news, I didn't notice before in the description that Steve made a part 2 to this video and sells it for $33 bucks. From what I've seen that's a heck of a deal! His email is in the description of his YouTube video incase your interested! I'm gonna grab a copy myself if he still has them available.
-Tom Freeland

Latest posts

Sponsors