Light Ring Help

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I am having a heck of a time with the light ring I just got. It is a Sunblitz Macro RL 1200. The camera that I have is an Olympus SP500UZ. When I take a picture of something that has a reflective surface I get a ring of lights in the picture. When I tilt the subject as the instructions for the light suggests I lose focus at the top or bottom depending on which way I tilt. Any Ideas or suggestions?

Attachments

• light.JPG
    light.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 114

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sandy, Light rings look like the cats' meow for engraving photographing but the reality is they are next to worthless because the lights are positioned wrong in relation to the lens and the work being photographed. You either get reflections like you see, or a flat image because the shadows are too neutral . Tthe ring lights are made to photograph objects that have no close background like insects or flowers. The light tents as mentioned elsewhere on the forum are the way to go for engraving shots

That said, I have a Canon ring light that maybe you have seen me use in Emporia

that the two flash ends can disconnect and stretch to different location to light different angles but still using a light tent to diffuse the flash. It's not the best solution, but it works great for travel situaions along with a rolled up piece of vellum for an impromptu light tent.

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,
Thanks. I did see your set up. I bought the ring to take with me to Reno. Thought it would be easy to use. I like the idea of using Vellum. I'll keep trying.

Sandy

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sandy, shooting straight down on the object is not only effected by lights, but even without them you still get the reflection of the camera except at an angle, so you must get an angle on it and the tent or light box is the only way to go for close up shots. You need an object free invironment, a solid white, no off color legs to reflect onto your subject.

Sam Welch has a funnel like do dah he attaches to his camera at shows. Maybe he could give you some input on this. He gets some mighty good pictures............Hope this helps...........Ron S

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Sandy, I have a small light ring that I find helpful to me as a hand held light source. I will have my photo setup with me in Reno and taking photos. It is a simple and cheap deal, except for the light ring which you already know about costwise. I have used it with good results at the SCI show as it is easily carried around. Be glad to show you what I do, even let you attach your camera and take a shot or two. See you there.......as well as most everybody else it sounds like. S

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Sam,
Thanks I sure would like to see how you do it. I'll have my ring with me also. I'll see you in Reno.
Mr. Ron,
Things sure do get complicated. I subscribe to the theory of K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sandy(Stupid). When I do that I never get into trouble. That is why I have an Idiot camera. Any idiot (me) can use it.
Sandy

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sandy,
I have a digital SLR. It's got everything on it you could think of and a couple of more after that. The best feature of all, is I can shut of all the bells and whistles and go manual.
The thing about manual mode on this camera, compared to the old film
cameras I started with. You don't have to wait a week to get the picture back.

I also thought a ring light might be a good idea. It been sitting on the shelf for six years now.
I tried waste paper baskets, expensive flashes, and lot of other stuff.
I still rely on what I was taught in college. Two lights and tracing paper.
Works every time.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
I'll be looking for you in Reno. I would like to see how you use the tracing paper. See ya soon.

Sandy

Latest posts

Sponsors