Lindsay BenchJewel Graver and hammer/chisel + ball vise.

tristania456

Hello everyone! So, I finally dipped my toes and tried the hammer and chisel, and oh boy, they weren't joking when they said it was a steep learning curve. I just had a few questions: first, are hammer and chisel not meant to be used with a ball vise? I ask this because my ball vise keeps shifting towards the side where I hammer (even if I do light taps).

My second question is regarding Lindsay BenchJewel Graver; I purchased the graver yesterday. However, I am wondering if the air regulator system that comes with the beach jewel graver can be used with the GRS 850?

Thank you

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello everyone! So, I finally dipped my toes and tried the hammer and chisel, and oh boy, they weren't joking when they said it was a steep learning curve. I just had a few questions: first, are hammer and chisel not meant to be used with a ball vise? I ask this because my ball vise keeps shifting towards the side where I hammer (even if I do light taps).

If you want to use your ball vise with a hammer and chisel try turning your tire or other base over so that the ball is not resting on the Teflon pads.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya.. you will want a vice that you can fix in place.. you might be better off with a wood carvers vise, where you can move your piece around for different angles of attack, but you can lock it in place when you find your spot.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
You might also try placing a square of RV friction shelf covering between the ball and the tire. That’s the stuff RVers use to line the shelves of cabinets…it’s high-friction stuff that keeps cabinet contents from shifting while driving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
till you get a better, heavier vise try turning the tension bolt all the way in if there is one may help. or if there's a hole in the vise. put a dowel pin in. you may find the pin will engage a matching hole in the bottom half.
how deep is your engraving ? perhaps you're diving in way too deeply. such will require heavier hammer taps.

Sponsors