Lindsay collet nose loose

DaveAtWeirs

I've been using a Airgraver with a collet nose for about three years now and I just noticed that both the part where the collet connects and the adjustment ring are free to twist about 5-10 degrees relative to the body of the graver.
I dismantled it as much as I can and cleaned it but I don't see any way to tighten it. Has anyone else come across this or know if there's a way to tighten it?
It's not the end of the world but I'm noticing it likes to roll when I'm doing fine curves

20240710_120924.jpg

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
It has most likely nothing to do with it being a collet nose. If I remember correctly it says somewhere in the manual that if you are going to use the most fine setting, turn half a turn back.. if not this might happen over time. I´m not sure exactly why but sounds like you maybe have overlooked or it happened for other reasons.. but I do think there is a fix for this, but better emailing him and I´m sure you will find a solution :)

DaveAtWeirs

Thanks for the suggestions, I cant believe I didn't think of just emailing him first instead of checking here.

Just in case someone has the same problem and is doing a search for answers at a later date, the suggestion from Steve is that the internal pin has moved or been sheared. This is normally caused by having the adjustment ring too far out, showing the three holes in the back, and using it at that setting for a while.
I had made sure not to leave it out that far, having at least the last vent hole half covered, but I think I damaged it recently using it at that setting with the heavy tungsten piston for a long period on a large engraving. The graver itself has seen quite a lot of use, 5 days a week for three years, so it's held up pretty damn well all things considered and more than earned a break, lol.
The solution is that we need to send it back to Steve for repair.
Luckily I have my own one at home that I can bring in while the work one is away.

Thanks again for the help

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
important info about lindsay tool settings that. can I ask also, do you know what psi the various handpieces are designed to take?