Lindsay template question

Stock682

So as I understand it, there is a length tube to measure the proper length of the graver before sharpening. What happens if the graver becomes too short? I assume the face angle wouldn't be correct anymore, but what about the other angles?

Thanks for any clarification in advance from anyone who is familiär with the system

Ian

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I think that JJ Roberts can answer this better than I can, he made a tool for choosing the correct length for certain jobs. But until then; when I engrave inside a ring I make sure the tool length is shorter than the standard. This raises the lift angle and makes it easier to engrave. If I was cutting something round then I would lengthen the tool so the it has a lower lift angle.

For instance I did this porringer with a monogram. The tool won't fit into the bowl with a normal lift angle so it has to go higher; in this case much higher so the tool tube doesn't lay across the edge. The tool length was very short. But even on the baby cup you need a slightly higher angle so it doesn't run along the edge at the top. Takes a small bit of practice to work with it but its useful.

But this doesn't go on all the time. I usually just use the normal length on most script work but I don't hesitate to change the length when the job needs it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 28

Stock682

I think that JJ Roberts can answer this better than I can, he made a tool for choosing the correct length for certain jobs. But until then; when I engrave inside a ring I make sure the tool length is shorter than the standard. This raises the lift angle and makes it easier to engrave. If I was cutting something round then I would lengthen the tool so the it has a lower lift angle.

For instance I did this porringer with a monogram. The tool won't fit into the bowl with a normal lift angle so it has to go higher; in this case much higher so the tool tube doesn't lay across the edge. The tool length was very short. But even on the baby cup you need a slightly higher angle so it doesn't run along the edge at the top. Takes a small bit of practice to work with it but its useful.

But this doesn't go on all the time. I usually just use the normal length on most script work but I don't hesitate to change the length when the job needs it. Hope this helps.
So I can in essence sharpen shorter gravers with the templates (dont have them yet, otherwise I would try)

Mike576

Elite Cafe Member
With the Lindsay temples when the graver gets too short Steve sells an extension collet that makes the graver long enough again.
Without that you can only use them down to a certain length. After that point the angle will change slightly with each sharpening.

Stock682

With the Lindsay temples when the graver gets too short Steve sells an extension collet that makes the graver long enough again.
Without that you can only use them down to a certain length. After that point the angle will change slightly with each sharpening.
Yes but I assume like mentioned below your comment, its just the face and heel?

keith cranmer

So as I understand it, there is a length tube to measure the proper length of the graver before sharpening. What happens if the graver becomes too short? I assume the face angle wouldn't be correct anymore, but what about the other angles?

Thanks for any clarification in advance from anyone who is familiär with the system

Ian

Ian

Latest posts

Sponsors