Liner cutting

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone have some tips on how to cut the steel of my liner graver to make it shorter? As they come purchased they're too long to fit properly into the handpiece of my graver and I need to shorten it a bit and wind up with more pieces to use as well. I don't think my metal curring bandsaw is up to the task on that hard tool steel-Do I just snap them off in my vice with a sharp sideways glancing blow and grind to fit the handpiece (Monarch)?
Thanks a lot.
Paul

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Breaking them off seems to be the most accepted method. Score it slightly with a grinder first.
Or.. you can use a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool. If you are careful, you can saw them to actually make 2 gravers if you make the cut in the middle in the shape of the tang. Takes a bit longer but since liners are pricey, it might be worth it.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Some of us did a bit of lapidary stone cutting, so we have wet grinders in the shop. They can make shortening
and shaping a whole lot simpler. You can sometimes pick up a unit cheaply. Keep your eyes open and
maybe you might get lucky.

msar24

Diane Scalese cuts them into smaller pieces and solders a new "handle" on to them so she gets many out of one. Her bright cutting video shows this and she discusses how she does it.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Paul~ Here is what I do... I first take the liner graver and grind off the top 3/4. This leaves the bottom 1/4 layer left with the lines. I then heat it up hot enough to bend around a round shaping mandrel. I bend this liner tighter, about twice its normal radius as when received from the manufacturer. I then cut off a section about 3/16" to 7/32" in length using a seperating disc on my foredom. I then take this piece and silver solder this to another tang which I shape to my desired length. I then heat to salmon red, quench in oil. Draw out to straw color and quench in water. There is usually some residue left in between the lines. I use a brass wire wheel on the polish lathe to clean this up. If there is some harder residual stuff, I use a fine single point graver to pick the rest out. Then polish with diamond grit. Add the graver handle and start cutting.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

castagnos&s

I learned a similar method to what greg describes from dave alderson but instead of using a wire wheel to clean the lines just etch the liner for a few minutes in some miriatic acid and wash it ioff with soap and water works like a charm but the acid is nasty

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just stick it in a vise with about a half inch sticking up and hit it with a hammer to break it. I then take the broken chunk and JB-weld it to an upside down 45 flat. I then grind it down to the shape I need. Be carfull not to heat it up and loose the temper. Works great and with the angle on the back of the 45 flat you have plenty of releif for your hand and room to get around raised conchos. Good luck. Seth Becker

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've never done liners, but i do a trick similar to greg pauline; a standard length graver can easily make 3 gravers. i bought 3/32" square steel barstock from mcmaster carr. cut to length and do as greg did. the square shank allows a good fit to the back of a graver and permits good indexing for sharpening. a 3' length of this stuff is under 5 bucks. can modify quite a fer gravers.

Latest posts

Sponsors