Question: Listing carved coins on Ebay

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi there, I was wondering if some of you more experienced coin carvers could give me some advice please? When it comes to listing hobo nickels on Ebay it's not a problem, all the collectors know what to look out for and where to go but what happens when you carve a different denomination of coin?

Right now I've bought a silver '44 quarter and have a Franklin half dollar on order which I'd like to carve but I'm not sure how to list them or whether collectors will look for them under any other category. Should I list them as 'hobo nickels' still, even though they're a different coin?

Don't get me wrong, carving buffalo nickels is great fun but I just wanted to experiment with different coins.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
I have sold "Hobo " Franklin fifty cent pieces
i just use the word Hobo Nickel
or Hobo nickel style
in the title
Hope this helps
I really enjoy your Hobo ebay sales
Dave

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marcus: I would definitely use "hobo nickel" as keywords in the title. Some ebayers have email notifications when certain keywords come up. If I were listing one, I'd probably put "hobo nickel carved Franklin half dollar" as a title.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
I think listing them under hobo nickel exposes them to the greatest number of buyers of carved coins. I have purchased many coins on "hobo nickel" ebay that are on other formats up to silver dollars.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus
I,ve listed more silver quaters, halves, dollars and pennies coin carvings the last few years then I,ve nickel coin carvings on ebay and have got best results listing them under 1913-1938 buffalo nickel category and as everyone has said, always use the words Hobo Nickel in your listing..I,ve tried a few times listing a silver dollar coin carving under two categories, morgan dollars category and 1913-1938 buffalo nickel and didn,t see any new bidders and had to pay double listing fees.