Little silver pendant

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI,just a little silver pendant,it's about 1 3/8 inch tall by 1 inch wide. The background was removed with a 90/30 for the bulk, and finished off with flat graver's with a 30 degree heel. Then was stippled using a single sharp point (From Sam's tip page). The black is Sam's magic formula again from his tips page. As I was told by Mr. Bigg's the best sized flats are tiny,tinier and tiniest and were all used. :tiphat:

Any comments good or bad and any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

scott99 :tiphat: e8.jpg

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
A suggestion - another way to attack this job... without the drudgery of removing and leveling a background. (I am a smith and so I see things a bit differently)

It looks like you can solder? Why not make a square wire oval border, solder it to a plate, then cut your flower, leaves and stems out of lighter weight sheet and solder it in the center.

Just engrave the center motif and stipple. No background to remove. Perfectly level. With some practice you should be able to cut your time in half?

Brian

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestion. I appreciate Brian Marshall for his suggestions for making a pendant by building it up, it would certainly be faster even with all the fret saw work. I am still learning how to engrave so the things I show here hopefully show a slow improvement with my engraving. So back ground removal is simply part of my learning process, to be honest I like doing background removal because it presents an opportunity to learn all the angles of the work.

Thanks again
scott99

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
One more suggestion Scott, if someday you do decide to fabricate a piece like this...

Flush the back of the piece of plate that you are going to cut the flower, leaves & stems from - with a thin layer of solder on the backside - BEFORE you cut it out and lay it on your base plate.

Then take a "V" graver of whatever geometry you have handy and throw up a couple of tiny burs on the base plate around the edges of the motif to keep it from sliding around or moving during the soldering process...

Apply your heat from the bottom for both the border and the motif. I use heavy gauge stainless wire screen for support.

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors