Looking for a good engraivng hammer

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey all,

Is there anyone out there making a decent engraving hammer?

I have GRS hammers and not happy with them.
I have NC Black hammers and they are better but still not great. They have a nice balance for me but they still have a round lathe turned handle.

Is there a good properly made engraving hammer out there specifically made for hammer and chisel engraving?

I do not want to make them. I want to buy them

Guidance to a source for a good hammer is appreciated.

Ray

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, I have them both from GRS too, Chris DeCamillis suggested to thinning the shaft a bit near the hammer itself, so it vibrates a bit more
And you still can buy two other ones

arnaud

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Brownells, also NGraver.

Brownells are german with pistol grip.
They are stainless(which I do not prefer),3 different sizes.

Actually NGraver sells the same as Brownells.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Will be announced soon, stay tuned
Also for those interested in Japanese style hammers check out Tange arts . He is making cool hammer heads

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Will be announced soon, stay tuned
Also for those interested in Japanese style hammers check out Tange arts . He is making cool hammer heads

Hello Dave. Do you have a link to Tange Arts, or contact info? I could not find them/her/him on the web. I found some youtube vids, but nothing about tools. Thank you, Sir. I do love and use many Japanese chisels and tools.
br.

bblake

This is a link to a supplier of Japanese chasing hammers, chisels and a lot more.
http://www.comokin.co.jp/shopbrand/005/X/
This company is not so easy to deal with (language), but it can be done. They have a minimum order for international shipping. I did not proceed with an order as I am visiting Tokyo in November and will go to the store.
Japanese chasing hammers have a slightly concave (dished) face. This means they "catch" the chisel a bit and reduce slippage. There may be more to it than that, as well. I may be wrong here but I think Japanese metalworkers engrave with the chisel pointed and moving toward the engraver and not away, so I think the shape of the hammer face may suit this method.
The first 4 hammers are chasing hammers. If you look under the picture, you will see a small table which shows diameter and weight.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
The hammer head is not important other then the weight. The handle is the thing that makes the hammer. I have five hammers now but the first one I learned to engrave with is always my favorite to use, I reworked the handle to fit my palm better and slimed down the shift. I then modeled my other handles after the first one so all feel about the same in my hand. If you do that you will be amazed at how better it works for you. ZZ

Latest posts

Sponsors