Machine engraving & layout

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

I don't know if you are using a manual pantograph like a New Hermes GTX or a computer driven engraving machine but the following would apply to either. What you are trying to do is create a cypher. A cypher is a design where the letters intertwine to form a design which though intricate still allows the viewer to determine the individual letters upon close inspection. A monogram is a set of letters set next one another, usually in a circle, oval, square or other geometric shape. To make a cypher readable and pleasing to the eye the letters intertwine in an over-under-over under or through fashion. In your cypher all of the letters are superimposed upon each other which causes the design to look jumbled. In order to get the over-under look with a pantograph you need to break the letter going under just short of the over letter then pick it up again a miniute fraction of an inch on the other side of the over letter. In hand engraving or drawing the over-under is usually accomplished by shading tecnique but breaking the letters can also be used.

A picture is worth a thousand words so I will point you to this web site: http://www.custommonograms.com/
If you click on any of the designs shown in the squares shown on this site you will see what I mean about the over-under concept.

I hope this helps,

Roger