Making casts

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When making casts from your molds, is color added for contrast or do you cast the item in the "white" color of the resin and add black to it later, or is the cast left alone for detail?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The plastic castings are colored in with ink afterwards and the surface is rubbed clean leaving the ink in the lines......MESSY IT IS......

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have mixed minds on this. For pure study, its probably better to have tan or white casting with ink rubbed in the cuts. For pure enjoyment of the piece, I like to cast in black resin and then the cuts seem much more alive. Or for peices that were orginally stainless, you can spray paint the mold with silver colored plastic friendly enamel, (I use Testors to be sure) and then pour the casting resin in. Then you get a nice please silver finished as part of the casting.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info. I have made a cast of a knife bolster and colored it in ink and wiped it clean. It looks good but I was just wondering if there was a better way to get one done. I have decided to make casts of my work now instead of smoke pulls where possible.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Big un

To carry on with what Scott was saying..........you can buy powders also for the resin casts. Metallic silver, Metallic gold (brass) etc. They look pretty good. You dust them into the mould then pour the resin in. I just brought mine from a model store and one small container will last a very long time.

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsors