Making money...literally

James_Ehlers

I just got notification about a job opening at the bureau of engraving in D.C. The job opening is for a portrait engraver and the apprentenceship is 10 years. They are looking for someone who can not only draw well, but is computer literate. I don't really know much else about the job other than it pays really really well and it seems pretty intense. Also, since you are working for the government, you must a have clean record as they will do a background check on you....I guess that eliminates many of you (I'm kidding). There's a detailed outline of what they are looking for and what the job entails. This is a pretty intense job and is a lifetime commitment. Check it out.

http://www.bep.treas.gov/hr/document.cfm/95/248/2972

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
James, I suppose I'll pass on that, for a number of reasons. Although my 'record or lack of it would allow it' I think.

I apprenticed under a Gerald Ehlers of Art Trophy Engravers during the late '60s any connection?

Jim Sackett :D

James_Ehlers

My family tree from the Ehlers side has been a bit of mystery for me. The only Ehlers that I know are related to me live in Louisiana. I'm the token artist in the family.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There was a thread on currency engraving somewhere in the last few months. If I can find it I'll come back with a link. Interesting thread.

Andrew Biggs

A ten year apprenticeship..............man, that's a long time but considering what is actually being engraved it makes sense. It would certainly be a facsinating job.

Cheers
Andrew

Danny C

I looked at the Job Posting - Typical government. It is several pages of small type, that explains in detail the previous explanation and requirements.

I think the weeding out comes from first trying to fill out the forms and get them "all" in!

Other that that it is all downhill!!!!! You should get in at least 10 years of hard work (after the apprentiship) before retiring!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was just speaking with my brother recently about currency engraving. What I was wondering about is how they get the layout on the plate. Since each plate must be exactly alike the layout must be very precise and exactly alike. Due to Carl's previous experience as a rotogravure touch up hand engraver, he is under the impression that the plates may be etched then the hand engraving is only to touch up the flaws in the etching. I was always under the impression that the entire plate is hand engraved but that could by a myth propagated by BE&P to make the process seem more difficult than it is. Anyway, I'm not that interested in how they make the plate, just how they get such a precise design on the plate because if we could get such a precise design on our work surface all we would have to do is cut it. There are probably BE&P engravers who lurk on this site but they are probably sworn to secrecy and can't post.

Any ideas?

RB

James_Ehlers

I think your brother is probably right, thought I'm not sure. If I were to guess, I would think that the image is engraved first, then somehow copied and etched into a bunch of different plates, then touched up...but who knows. I have been meaning to make a trip to D.C. and check it out...maybe take tour and see what they'll tell me. I had found online at one point some videos of banknote engravers working. I have no idea where they are...it was just mindless net surfing.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Everything I know about currency engraving I learned on either the Discovery, Learning or History Channels...
What I remember seeing was the original plate was hand cut and then they made duplicates from that out of a rubber based stuff or at least something like a silicone. That alone has to be a really high end product.
They showed the plates being hand engraved with a loupe but I'm also guessing that was a set up shot. I saw a microscope in the background.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took a tour of the BE&P in D.C. several years ago and they didn't let us get near any of the engravers or show us how it was done.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Intaglio plates

At the ANA summer seminar last year they had a display on the steps of making the plates that were used by the American Banknote Company before they went under. I seem to have forgotten most of what they showed us, but here is what I remember. The original is cut into steel by hand and then hardened. Epoxy copies are made of the original in the positive and grouped together. These are then placed in an electroforming bath which creates the correct (negative) reading plate for printing. There was also something about making a roll die from the original hand cut plate and using this to make new plates, but that may have been for another part of the process or a different process entirely. As far as acid etching, I don't think that was mentioned.

Joe Paonessa

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Terry Wallace, master of bank note line work has several bits of info on the process in his various, taped, presentations with FEGA-I do remember him saying that they do use acid for background and folage-other peices may also be etched but those are two I recall.Fred Marrinan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I applied for that govt engraving job and my application was rejected. Something about making moonshine in Louisiana didn't agree with them. I don't drink that much when I engrave. Picky, picky, picky.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
I figured you were turned down because after a 10 year apprenticeship you would be so old you wouldn't remember anything they taught you..................

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,
I figured you were turned down because after a 10 year apprenticeship you would be so old you wouldn't remember anything they taught you..................

I hadn't considered that, Rex. I can't remember things now, much less 10 years from now!

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Being a old ky hillbilly I usually engrave with no shoes from May through Oct. and this would probably disqualify me before i even started filling out the paperwork, if i remember right, there are some more barefooted engravers in the forum...[PS] I think we have many in the forum that could do the job, but probably are to used to being their own boss and doing things their own way..

Latest posts

Sponsors