Making some progress

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I've been working my way through the GRS self-study kit with Ron's books. Just about got the feel for the lessons in the first book (far from mastery, but getting the feel).

Had to take a little break because to work on a gift for the ever-indulgent wife. There was a Gem & Mineral show here last weekend and we picked up some TBE items (To Be Engraved).

This little hair pin is about 2" across with a 1.25" hole. I used a drawing program to make a sheet of 'donuts' to let me work on the designs. Tried a few but wasn't happy with any of the others until this one struck me.

I used a Pentel White Paint pen to give me a drawing surface and sketched the design on one half. After I cut it I tape-transferred it to the other half (another skill not yet mastered).

Still need to do the shading, and I think I need something in the gaps by the pins, but so far so good!

Once it's done I'll get a better / clearer picture. Didn't have time to do some temporary darkening for this one so the design's not as easy to see as I'd like. The ever-indulgent wife likes it bright, I think darkening would show it better. When I'm done I'll use a Sharpie or some transfer wax to temporarily darken one half (for getting a good picture) and let her make the final decision.

Oh yeah, small photography tip: go by your local craft store and look in the ScrapBooking section - lots of nice papers to use for backgrounds.

Attachments

• w080312013.jpg
    w080312013.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 291

tldcowboygear

Hey Steve,

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with a wife who likes it better bright. Every piece I do, she wants me to leave it bright and I want to darken it. I usually win, I think she just lets me though!

D.C.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The odd thing is that the last bracelet I did for her she insisted I darken - she likes the contrast of the bright silver and the black (as do I), but for this one she likes it bright (so far).

Ah well, she supports my hobbies and this is a gift for her so it'll end up the way she wants it. Hey, when the Customer is your wife you know they're always right, right? ;)

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Steve,
My wife is my most avid supporter, as well.....
I like gifts that show our appreciation for their continued support.
Thanks for sharing,
Stephen

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve looks like your coming along fine.
I'm not a professional photographer but have some experience with jewelry. You really need to shot jewelry in some sort of white tent. Jewelry, especially high polished needs the light to be bounced all over the piece or you get glare and reflections. Another thing is to use an ambient color background then you can edit it in a drawing program by cutting out the item and layer it over a background. If you can't get the lighting just right you can shot the picture in complete dark by keeping the shutter open for 30 to 60 seconds. You can get some interesting results messing with f stops and such.
Keep cutting.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
this is why i wont allow my wife to look upon this site,its beautiful.. but like the rest of you, she is a supporter, maybe i could just take her to mcdonalds?

tldcowboygear

Steve,

I really like the hair pin. The engraving is great from what I can see. I can't wait to see it finished.

Richard - I think that you should really splurge for your #1 supporter. Maybe KFC or Wendy's!

D.C.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

Yeah, but when you're grabbing a quick shot in the morning before hitting the computer it's a lot easier to just set the sheet of paper on the stove and lean over. ;)

When I get it done I'll set up the light tent - possibly on top of my light box so I can 'float' the image. The only trick doing that is to remember to open up a stop or two so you get white instead of the grey the camera's trying expose for.

Richard

Don't let her look her unsupervised! If you do she'll start comparing your work to the really good stuff we see here. :eek:

Just make her a nice little bracelet or something. You know, you could do a practice plate of a pattern that would make a nice bracelet then mourn the fact that you could make her one if you had, say, the GRS Bracelet former.... ;)

lylekelley3

Hair pin

KCSteve - I'm with the others, it looks done to me, maybe her initials in the area near the pins. After all, we don't want someone else ending up with it (not that anyone would). It looks great to me!

Lyle

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew

Yeah, that 3D curve makes 'straight line' an interesting experience. And curves! :eek:

Tim

I saw your location and I've been thinking about PM'ing you. Week of the 24th I've got some time off so I might be able to do it then.

There seem to be almost enough of us in the KC area to justify getting together for a meal / gabfest somewhere.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
Looks very nice! Is the gold solid or just plated? When you darken the engraving, are you using a black color like we do to color backgrounds? I was wondering if you plan on shading? My wedding ring uses a combination of bright gold and a cross hatched liner effect that looks like satin and it looks really cool. Keep up the good work!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy

I think I have a similar wedding band (actually 10th Anniversary band in my case). After another 10 years (this August) the lines are a bit worn in the front. I plan on addressing that at some point. ;))

The hair pin is silver - nice and shiny so it picks up colors from the reflections, of course. Being silver it appears to be solid. Just your basic 'Made In Mexico' trinket. And yes, I need to finish it but didn't have time the other evening. This weekend I'll be peering intently and working deliberately.

If I darken it I'll use good old Rustoleum flat black. Actually, I will darken one side of it for photos of the finished piece but then she'll decide if it gets darkened or not. So far she likes this one bright. Told her about Western Bright Cut and she thinks she'd like that so I know she'll be supportive when I want to get Diane's DVD on it. :)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, You are comming along rather quickly I would say. That is a nice gift, and the wives seem really appreciative.
Did you have any trouble holding it secure, or did you set it in thermoloc? Looks kind of bendy and not friendly at all with any vibration.
Ron S

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, sounds good to me. I work out of my hause so anytime thats convenient for you.
Except mornings lol I dont do mornings.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
seems all ladies like the bright -cut. things that shine . i had engraved a brass peice thr other day, then darkened it for camera usage, only to see first-hand what she meant. who says us men cant learn new tricks? anyway, on the way to mcdonalds i looked around , hoping to find one of those soup-kitchens open......

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,

Thanks for the compliment! :)

It's a little tricky to hold - the 'ears' fit in between the vise jaws and then the regular small pins hold it pretty well. Until you need to cut near a pin. Then I used varioius combinations of larger pins in other spots to hold it.

If I had a microwave handy I would have used ThermoLoc. My bench is in a garage / basement corner and i haven't (yet) had a powerline run so everything runs off one extension cord. Don't want to strain the system so I'm cautious about what I run there.

I might go ahead and ThermoLoc it for the shading though - don't want it tilting / slipping / being blocked during the more delicate bits.

Tim

Showed the ever-indulgent wife your site today - she likes! I'll get in touch with you that week and we'll see when it's convenient for everybody.