making your own panto temps #5

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cutting grooves in the template blank.
if your design is properly sized and oriented on your blank, it is time to start engraving the grooves.
i prefer using a # 53 or 54 round graver simply because that curve fits my tracing stylus better. you nearly have to do this with power. i've done a few prior to getting my first gravermeister, and i'll guarantee it's a time consuming proposition. but possible, nonethe less.
the harder plastics might require rotary cutting, not sure.
when done cutting the design, you may see chatter marks. these usually pose no problem. if they do,
hold the graver you used in your fingers at a steep angle and drag it backwards over the chatter area a few times. this usually shaves the chatter down smooth.
cutting lines that intersect at a sharp corner must be done with care. at the corner slow down. the corners must be the same depth/width. if not, the stylus will tend to hang up there. correct this condition by carefully backcutting till the corners are smooth and equally deep.
it's best to go over all the cut grooves with a very soft pencil. the graphite deposits in the groove and acts as a lube, making the trace a bit smoother.
never do an actual job with your template without first doing a test trace to check for spots where the stylus may hang up. if your cuts become too shallow, your stylus may jump out of the groove altogether.
careful tracing is always called for.
any questions jayismonk450@gmail.com or724-328-4951. if you want instruction on doing the templates without power, i will advise you on this only over the phone. no pm's please

Latest posts

Sponsors