Marble grips, S&W M&P 1905

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Well, it's not engraving, I hope you don't mind.
I came across a nice 100 year old (1923 production) S&W 1905 M&P 4th Change with a very attractive price. Nickel with vintage after-market mother of pearl grips. The grips had some chips and looked too fragile, so I wanted something more durable so I could shoot it.

I've made wood grips before, now it was time to try marble.

S and W M and P marble grips 1.jpg S and W M and P marble grips 2.jpg

Last edited:

Gargoyle

I made paper templates and glued them to a piece of marble tile. Just Elmers glue thinned with water. This was the first attempt, a piece of Greek Tinos marble, but it proved too brittle and crumbly. I started over with a nice piece of Northern Italian Verde Alpi marble. I epoxied fiberglass mesh to the back for reinforcement, and cut them to the profile and drilled the screw hole, making sure the fit was right. Marble grips step 1 template.jpg

Gargoyle

A chip did come off the bottom of the right grip as I started cutting, but that area all going to be removed during the shaping, so I didn't worry about it.

Marble grips step 2.jpg

Last edited:

Gargoyle

I then started rounding and shaping them. Once I had the basic curve, I marked around my fingers to make grooves, ensuring it will lock into my hand for shooting.

Marble grips step 3.jpg

Gargoyle

Marble grips step 4.jpg Prior to polishing the stone is rather dull. Here I've started sanding it, probably up to about a 400 grit in this photo. I took it up to a 2000 grit and used some polishing powder.
At this stage I had some blued steel grip screws from Numrich. They served for fitting, but the threads weren't cut well and the blue steel didn't look good. I then ordered a nickle screw and escutcheon from gungrip dot com, which works much better.

Gargoyle

Took it to the range today. It really fits my hand nicely, very easy to shoot. I was getting better groups with lead round nose than with wadcutters. The grip did start to loosen a bit; I haven't yet put blue loctite, I wanted to test it out first.

s_and_w 1905 marble grips target.jpg

Gargoyle

BTW, if you're interested, these are the grips that came with it. Beautiful, but I don't think they'd hold up to shooting.

S and W 1905 right grip.jpg

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Well done there sir, Imagine many people would be proud to have a set of those on they’re favorite piece.

Nice! I think you’ll find dyed wooly mammoth tooth (not tusk, much harder tooth) is similar and there’s decent demand for it!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Took it to the range today. It really fits my hand nicely, very easy to shoot. I was getting better groups with lead round nose than with wadcutters. The grip did start to loosen a bit; I haven't yet put blue loctite, I wanted to test it out first.

View attachment 51164
i shot competitive as well as combat pistol for almost 50 years. i found by making the left grip about 1/8" thicker than the right allowed me to get right on target without canting my wrist. my scores/groups improved a good bit.a serious shooter will do better with customizing to suit the hand.