McKenzie book and sharpening

Tom White

Well today was like Christmas to me a package arrived from Lindsay Engraving and inside I found a sharpening system that is elegant in its simplicity and totally functional I was truly amazed by the ease of use and the results of this amazing little set of tools. I have already decided this is one I will not part with. I can now sharpen on the road or at a show without power and still have accurate repeatable results.

Digging deeper into the box what did I find next but the book of Lynton McKenzie's lifes work and passion carefully gathered and preserved here for our study and enjoyment. I have spent the last few hours doing just that, studying and enjoying this collection of images, knowledge and art. I have always admired his work and having so much to study and enjoy now in one collection is worth every penny. I suggest this book to all
who wish to study his work and style.

Tom White

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I saw the McKenzie book at FEGA and it's done very well. The smoke pulls of Lynton's work are featured both positive and negative which makes them look like a black & white photo instead of a negative. I really liked the photo of Lynton seated with a gun in his lap. Great shot!

I've had a copy of the 'Engraving By Lynton McKenzie' written portion of the book for many years. I don't remember who gave it to me (it might have been Lynton), but last winter I sent a copy to Lynton's widow Pam and asked her if I could host it on iGraver for everyone. She never responded so I assumed she had other plans for it and I certainly can't fault her for that. Thankfully it's been preserved for posterity along with smoke pulls of his engravings. This is a book worth having.

I know a local guy who photographed all of Lynton's work during his heyday at New Orleans Arms and have suggested that he publish the photos. They were all taken with 4x5 and 8x10 cameras and would make a fantastic book! / ~Sam

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tom

Yip, I saw the McKenzie book at Reno as well. A wonderful resource for old and new engravers. A book well worth having.

We are truly blessed with this sort of information and historical records of engravers work. In the last few months we've had the Winston Churchill, Pedersoli and now McKenzie book come out. There are also some more in the pipeline.

I had a few interesting discussions with some of the early FEGA members about the early days when they started out in their engraving careers. Basically they were isolated with little or no information and engraving books were unheard of. How times change!!!!

One thing I would recommend to anyone interested in the engraving arts..............get these books now while they are available and still in print. Yes they cost money but the inspiration that is between the covers is priceless and invaluable to your life long studies as an engraver.

Cheers
Andrew