Critique Request Meek squirrel

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Can I get some critique on my Meek Squirrel ? I think he looks a little bushy in the extreme close up but at a normal eye length he looks quite a bit better. The pics were taken outside on a cloudy day and reveal so much more than the indoor lights. I don't have it darkened with ink yet . I rub my finger over it as I cut and get a good darkening from the oil and dirt on my finger. In the close up photo , the fur cuts seem a little heavy or deep. Comments on the tree . shading and overall cuts too please. The image from the top of tree to the bottom of the tree is about 1-1/2'' .Thanks, 20190609_190349.jpg 20190609_190145 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20190609_190145 (1).jpg
    20190609_190145 (1).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 13

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
This is farrrrr better work than I am capable of so I hardly feel that I should be critiquing at all. With that said possibly some separation between the back and the tail? It may very well show up much more distinct when inked and again I mean no disrespect at all.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Dang ! Now, every time I look at it , I see a squirrel and a donut ! That's supposed to be his hip or haunch. I tried more shading right at the last and made that area more pronounced than it should be. I haven't learned yet how to stop picking at my work. I'll try to adjust that. Any suggestions ? My last minute "adjustments" just made it look splotchy. Thanks for the note.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
i dont dislike it--but,
Monk should get an award for the " MOST DIPLOMATIC " critique ( r) . I've noticed over the years how he gets his point across but in the nicest way ! I always enjoy seeing his comments. Thanks Monk !

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stand back from your work once in a while, remove your loop. Look at it from more distance. The magnification can cause you sometimes to add too much detail! Learn how to generalize more features and then move to specific. Get you major lines in first and the rest should fall in place. But don't be too hard on yourself! You did an excellent job!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speedy6 as through life you engrave whatever be your goal don't keep your eyes upon the donut and not upon the hole!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speedy6 learn how to please yourself and not others, listen, learn but remember everyone will have their own opinion. In the end, you do your best, grow as an artist, move on, and be satisfied that you tried and did your best!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Dang ! Now, every time I look at it , I see a squirrel and a donut ! That's supposed to be his hip or haunch. I tried more shading right at the last and made that area more pronounced than it should be. I haven't learned yet how to stop picking at my work. I'll try to adjust that. Any suggestions ? My last minute "adjustments" just made it look splotchy. Thanks for the note.
baloney ! forget donut, lets call it a torus.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk should get an award for the " MOST DIPLOMATIC " critique ( r) . I've noticed over the years how he gets his point across but in the nicest way ! I always enjoy seeing his comments. Thanks Monk !
more baloney ! my wife tells me what and how to say it. when i joined the forum, my email was ," monk, the drunk" ! when i agreed to do the archiving, the dictatorship advised me to change my email address. that trashed my self image for almost 2 hours ! again, my old lady sided with sam ! drat !

Latest posts

Sponsors