Melbourne Newbie

Kahoun

Hello Everyone

In the last few weeks of reading these forums your collective advice has already been invaluable- so thank you in advance! I’ve had a fascination with engraving for many years, but the closest I have come to doing anything remotely like it has been buying a small rotary tool and some writing diamonds to draw on some crystal ware, small metal objects, and making some small sculptures. I have some experience in working with glass, wood and bone but I have finally decided to try my hand at engraving.

In trying to be a good student I have taken the overwhelming advice to get James B Meek’s book which arrived a few days ago and I am continuing to get up to speed on terms and materials. I have some idea of what I would like to do, as I have said I mainly get into miniature works so I expect my engraving efforts to be in a similar vein, engraving on small metal implements like jewelery, pens, small plaques, etc.
I am at a loss as to what size and type of gravers I would require in order to start experimenting, and where I might get them from.

I have searched the internet a little to see if there are schools or individuals that teach and sell equipment, but I do not have much to go on in choosing one avenue over the other. I’m not entirely confident in approaching any of them without knowing what it is I’m actually looking for, so I thought this community might be of some more guidance to me.

If any of you could suggest the starting equipment I should consider buying for small work, and where in Melbourne I might go to buy them it would be fantastic!

Thanks and great to meet you all, I look forward to spending some time learning this fascinating craft with your collective guidance :)

Peter Kahoun

rodstan

Hi Peter
Presume you mean Melbourne Australia?
Try Gabriel Ripka at Koodak Jewellers Supplies.Set me up with ball vise etc a few years ago.Presume he still carries stock, prices were reasonable.
Regards
Rod

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the metal scratching forum. You may look up Damien Connolly who lives south of Sydney I think about 60 clicks. He can point you the right direction.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tools and supplies

rio grande jewelry supply co, grs co, gesswein, ray phillips lotsa sources for tools. hand engraving normally requires several shapes of gravers flats, squares, rounds, maybe onglettes and liners depending on your work. also, the given shape might be needed in several different sizes. i suggest checking the forum classified for used equipment for sale. you may save a buck, and be able to purchase a complete outfit from the start. i don't advise buying power equipment right off except the power hone. i'd buy one of those asap.
good luck.

Latest posts

Sponsors