Metal inlays in wood

Does anyone have experience and or tips for inlaying metal or metal wire into wood?
I want to inlay and then engrave metal into my wood grips….below is the gun and the design. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 0FAD944A-D8FE-472A-898F-FD908F38DD2C.jpeg 004FC23E-C0B9-4426-B9EB-785854BD75E7.jpeg

Andrew Biggs

Pinning it at the back also helps. You can contour the metal slightly by bending it.
Make it slightly thicker than you want and sand the metal inlay down to the wood.........just like a gold inlay.

Choose your epoxy wisely...........Get a good marine one not Araldite. Araldite is heat sensitive and sanding will soften the epoxy (friction and heat) and the inlay will fall out. Ask me how I know this :)

Lots of old muzzleloaders have metal inlays into the wood........but they probably used a glue made of buffalo scrotum combined with eye of newt :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's a very interesting design you have drawn. that should really look good when you finish it in the metal.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jesse
metal,ivory,bone etc has been inlayed into wood for centuries. Look at the Pennsylvania long rifles that were made in your area. Many museums have online visusl libraries showing masterful examples of this.
of course there are many techniques that are used to accomplish this as the previous pots have stated. I might add a. Wart of toad yo the list. Cut out your metal and then accurately trsnsfer it to the wood. Cut out the recess so your inlay goes in. Usually the metal is sanded flush with the wood st this point and then engraved

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I do inlays on long rifles the most important part is file a slight draft or angle on the edge of the inlay, the bottom of the inlay should be slightly smaller than the top so as you work it into the wood it gets tighter. Take your time.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Allen, if they are engraved I use screws so I can remove them after the filing and sanding engrave and replace. Smaller inlays are nailed with nails made of the inlay material. I don't use epoxy or any other glue.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the input. I’m excited to give this a go. I have some experience with wood inlay but its limited. We have always used West System marine epoxy but I love the idea of using either small nails or the eye of newt system

Latest posts

Sponsors