Microscope Advise

Dragonslayer

I am looking at the Omano OM3300/V10 microscope with the 0.3x and 0.5X Barlow lenses. I am new to engraving and getting old and the eyes are not what they use to be. I do work on Jewelry, Rings and Pendants. I would like to know if you think this is a good microscope for the price.

I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks ahead of time to all of you.
Bruce

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I had a Omano 7x45 scope 10x eye peices and a .4 and .5 barlow lenses. The optics would stay in focus thru the zoom range. The reason I got rid of it, it did not have good light gathering quality and was dark and took a lot of light to see what to see what I was doing. I bit the bullet and got a Meiji EMZ5. You might want to re-think a .3 barlow, a .4 barlow lense has 9 1/4" clearance.

Roger

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bruce,

Microscopes, like many engraving accessories, seem to polarize those who use them. As in most fine optical instruments, "you get what you pay for." The finer Zeiss, and high-end Japanese scopes are the best in optical quality but significantly higher in price. I have used the Omano OM XTL/V7B with a 0.5 Barlow for about 18 months now and I find it a very good scope. It stays in focus throughout the zoom range and is bright enough with a good ring light and a supplemental "goose-neck" halogen off to one side. I am unfamiliar with the OM 3300/V10 scope. It seems to have a less substantial body but photos are hard to compare. I like the larger articulated boom stand that is sold with the OM XTL. Are you buying from The Microscope Store? If so, talk to them about the different models. I found them very helpful and good people with which to do business

Mark

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Bruce,
you might try useing one or more before buying. i have one but 95% of the time it sets off to the side as i find it slows me down, and my old back does not like being locked into that one position for very long. i could be very wrong about this but i think people new to engraving are to quick to get a scope.
i agree with Mark the microscope store is a good place for info. thats where i got mine.
Lots of luck, Carl Bleile

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Dragonslayer; I don't know where you are located at, but you might want to get in touch with some of the people here that have classes, and see if you could stop by and try out there setups. There is nothing better than a little hands on time before purchasing a scope. There are also quite a few threads here on this site that you can glean info from.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bruce,
I use the Omano 7x45 scope 10x eye peices and a .5 barlow lense all day long and am very satisfied with the quality of the microscope and the clearity of view-I use a 12 watt ring light and it seems fine. Like you my eyes arn't what they used to be. Also I could not say enough nice things about the folks at the Microscope Store where I bought mine through Ebay-great to work with-Fred

Dragonslayer

Like to thanks everyone for the great help, as recommended by many I will be calling the Microscope store and seeking their advice. This is a great site and forum to us newbies,
Thanks again
Bruce