Microscope tilt

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I found that unless the scope objective lens is parallel to the turntable the work piece will spin out of view/focus, solved this problem by eliminating the turntable and adding the Lindsay slideloc set up to his Goliath vise, now the scope is angled for comfort and the vise is tilted to match. Comfort was the most important for me.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Interesting question. I just measured, the microscope is tilted by about 14 degrees. I use it also for stone setting, where the angled view comes in handy. Turning in and out of focus is rarely a problem. I usually work with high magnification, the field of view is 2cm or less.

T.G.III

Just finished checking my scope (Olympus SZ40) the objective lens is tilted 25*, apparently the brand of scope matters in this little exercise, zoomed in for shading my field of view is 3cm.

T.G.III

I noticed playing around with my setup that anything with a difference of up to 15* tilt differential works just fine, (objective lens at 25* and vise top at 10* to 15*), with a 25* differential it created problems. I went with that particular angle so as to place the ocular lens' closer to the horizontal plane. With a shallower angle it created a crick in my neck from long hours cutting, at this point in the process, comfort is most important for me.

Latest posts

Sponsors