mill grain

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
I can't think of anyone who makes milgrain patterns with a graver. the graver is used to make a ridge that the milgrain pattern is then applied to the ridge with a milgrain tool.the tool itself is a wheel with ridges and spaces which is rolled onto the ridge and forms the pattern. maybe think of a tool like a wheeled pizza cutter,but instead of cutting the wheel has teeth and makes a design.

Magnus Jensen

Yes today the milligrain-wheel roles.
But before the wheel the edge where divided into small dots with a pointed graver and every peak on that edge where rounded of with a beading tool.
Of course this was a time consuming job, but it gave the setter the possibility to go from large to small dots/beads in the same line which is impossible with a wheel.
And without wheel made milligrain is more crisp.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

A google image search turned up this photo of a ring with millgrain edge.

Samuel

thanks guys, is the wheel tapped on with a small mallet or something or is it just hand force that makes the mark? its hard to keep the marks even enough. looks like some more experimenting/ practice is in order.

Samuel

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Samuel,

I'm a bit heasetand to answer in the presence of these engraving masters, but what the heck.

The Mille Griffe or Mill Grain is placed in a handpiece and handforced over a cut out edge. Depending how well your edge is its hard or easy to change it into a beatifull beaded edge. The edge has to consist of enough material to fill the mill grain of choice. To steep will leave burrs, and to shallow will leave flat tops. Mostly I run the wheel back and forth about three time's. The experience tells you wich wheel to use. So make a test plate with different tapered ridges and try the different mill grain sizes. I've got about 8 grain sizes and think thats about enough.

They really show you how to use them theirselves.

Good luck,

Daniel

AllanFink1960

My jaw dropped when I saw Sam put his millgrain tools in his gravermax on his dvd i was watching. I would have never thought of that. I still havent tried that yet but it looked like a very tidy way to get consistent results.

Magnus
Wow, I would love to see the difference making them by hand. Now I want to try that too. I am wondering if thats where the term "eternity band" came from, cuz it would take about that long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors