Mistaken Sharpening Method:

The tip of a 96 degree Carbolt graver chipped off and I inadvertently put it in the 116 Lindsey sharpening device. I sharpened the face at 50 degrees and proceeded to sharpen the relief only to find that it sharpened as it would have had I used the tried and true old method of sharpening by laying 3/32 graver on the diamond plate and placing the graver to be sharpened perpendicular to it and swiping each side a few times.

What I got was a tool that worked great as a hand push graver.
Has anyone else done this???

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, dude-- welcome back. no, i never did that. sometimes a mistake can be a blessing. you still doing yer money clips ? i always enjoyed seeing them.,

Monk, yes I still do an occasional money clip. These days I am doing Acme whistles for bird hunters.
I wasn't able to get on this site due to my change of e-mail address, so I had to reapply. That worked.
All I need is....more practice!!!

Attachments

• Whistle Legg 1.jpg
    Whistle Legg 1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Dog Portrait 22.jpg
    Dog Portrait 22.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 54
  • SetterMAR08.jpg
    SetterMAR08.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 55

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what a unique project to undertake. yet another "road" for engravers to traverse. are the whistles plated ? if so, i'd think you'd have to do them with a quite a bit of caution. tyvm for sharing.

These are brass whistles. I have cut the nickel plated whistles but they tend to chip.

Attachments

• BassUJ13.jpg
    BassUJ13.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Bell Grouse 22.jpg
    Bell Grouse 22.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 25
  • crazyhorsewhistle.jpg
    crazyhorsewhistle.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 25

Sponsors