Mono-vision contact lenses anyone?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Does anyone use mono-vision contact lenses for microscope engraving? It's hard for me to believe that people adapt to one eye for close-up and the other for distance, but I guess they do (I just had a student that wore mono-vision contacts and she did fine). If anyone has mono-vision contacts I'd be interested to hear about your experience. I'm really tired of having to use reading glasses, and my arms are too short without them!

~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The last visit to my eye doctor he insisted on mono vision lenses for me. I didn't make it through the first day without calling him. He then suggested giving it a week. I did and called him to change them. I didn't like that at all.
I really didn't like it when driving.

john neenah

Hi Sam,
I've had mono vision contacts for about 15 years now. I didn't like wearing glasses all the time, and since I had perfect vision until I was about 43, going to glasses was not fun. Went to mono vision contacts after about 2 years of glasses. It took me about a month to get used to them - I don't even notice that one eye is different from the other. I have worn them all the time since then except when I shoot sporting clays, then I use prescription shooting glasses. The near vision with my monovision is very good, the far vision is acceptable, but not as good as with bifocal glasses. Engraving with the microscope is fine because you can adjust one eyepiece for the near contact and one eyepiece for the far (at least with my prescription). The only trouble I have with engraving is when I use optivisors - then I have to take off the contacts, but I hardly ever use the optivisor.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I tried it

Sam I tried it and you do get used to it but it does take a while for your brain to make the adjustment. I have worn glasses since I was 35 and I decided to try the contacts in one eye for far vision and none for close vision which was OK. The problem I had was I could not get used to putting the contact in. I tried this for about 6 months and after struggling for 30 minutes every morning trying to get the contact in I finally gave up and went back to glasses. I just could not get used to sticking my finger in my eye.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an eye doc talked me into this one time. when the lenses were installed by his assistant, i nearly went "bonkers" i absolutely freaked out in the office with the things. i left the place wearing my old glasses. i didn't "give them a chance" as they say, but i don't apologize for that. i can't imagine lookin down thru a scope that way !

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
My wife used mono vision contacts for years, and really liked them. When she had lasik surgery a half dozen years ago, she convinced the doctor to do mono vision. He'd done thousands of lasik operations, but she was the first mono vision; she's extremely happy with the results. He's since done it for many other patients.

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Although this is not a direct response to Sam's question, it is related. I have been wearing glasses for 35 years or so. In the last month, I had catarct surgery on both eyes, and now I don't need glasses for anything but reading, and the drugstore variety work fine. The great news for me is that I can now see through the microscope better than ever, and without the hassle of glasses.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've done a lot of reading about multivision and mono-vision contacts, and like so many things, there's a trade-off. Maybe for a guy like me who needs really sharp close vision they're not the best choice. I guess I'll continue with my drugstore glasses like yours, Don. I get mine at Everything's A Dollar for a buck a pair.

Congrats on your cataract surgery. Abby's brother just had it done and it improved his vision 1000%!

~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
multivision contacts

I've done a lot of reading about multivision and mono-vision contacts, and like so many things, there's a trade-off. Maybe for a guy like me who needs really sharp close vision they're not the best choice. I guess I'll continue with my drugstore glasses like yours, Don. I get mine at Everything's A Dollar for a buck a pair.

Congrats on your cataract surgery. Abby's brother just had it done and it improved his vision 1000%!

~Sam

do you need glasses when you are at your scope ? i need mine for most everything, but the diopter adjustment on the scope i bought lets me work without glasses. great for me. i think it would be a super pain to wear glasses at the scope.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
what's mono vision?

Ok, I'm not sure what you guys mean by mono-vision but I guess you mean one eye long sighted and one short sighted? Well, that's what I happen to have naturally. Short sighted in my right eye (convinced it was down to using a loupe for many years) and long sighted in my left eye. Ordinairly it doesn't cause a problem and I can drive without glasses but don't like to do so after dark because approaching headlights are more difficult to judge. It's hopeless for shooting and I used to wear one lens to correct my vision (I was still a lousey shot though) but then would need to wear reading glasses if I needed to read anything. As for using the scope, no problem the eye pieces are independently focusable; I probably use the eye pieces to focus more often than other folks though.