Critique Request Monogram pencil scetch.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe this is MNRleft to right. The top of the left upper point on the M should not be the same height as the N, as it looks like its part of the N somehow. The left letter should be slightly smaller than the middle one, thus the M should be no higher than the R as you have it drawn.

Another thing that I don't really like is the extra flourish at the middle lower apex of the M. This looks like part of the letter to me, not a flourish, and therefore harder to read. maybe if it was only the thickness of one line, rather than several it would be OK, not sure about that though.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i were doing this one, first- i'd allow a bit more breathing room. too close to the border. 2nd. the m & r would be somewhat shorter. assuming n to be the initial of the last name, i'd leave it in the center. some would call me on this, but that's just a preference of mine.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jim: You're doing well with your drawings. If I may make one suggestion, try sweeping the M and R over a bit more and see how you like it.

Cheers / ~Sam

Attachments

• for_jim_sackett.jpg
    for_jim_sackett.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 46

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Monogram Fonts

Jim,

I was asking a fellow member about Monograms and through that conversation I started looking for nice fonts or Monogram programs. I couldn't find a program but found some nice fonts and thought I would pass them on, some of you may already no this site. There is a list on the top to choose what font style you like.

I attached a picture of a monogram I made with one of the fonts probably not a style you would use.

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401

Good luck and if you need help PM me,
Kevin

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
I like this one the best. Next step give customer a choice and decide on bright cut over satin finish or dull cut over polished finish. :)

Jim

View attachment 8621

Jim,

As a general rule of practicality for interlocked script monograms on a disc or circular surface, the initial of the family name should stand in the middle, larger in proportion, and the first and middle names' initial on left and right, smaller but similar in size. That way the letter of least importance (middle name initial) won't be overwhelmingly larger than the others of more importance. Before doing that, informe the client in advance that this is the proper order of the layout.

Greetings - Ivan