Monogrammed Knife

thejeweler

I haven't had anything to post lately but just finished this. Critiques can't hurt me, so please let me know what it needs.

Attachments

• IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 172

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Critiques can't hurt me, so please let me know what it needs.

kinda throwing down the gauntlet with that, ain't ya? ;-)

Actually, it's very well done. My only suggestion would be to make the shadows solid black for better definition/visibility. I like the idea of a softer, more realistic shadow, but in practice they will have more 'presence', or punch, if they're sharply defined in black.

Also, the upper left serifs on the R & B are missing their shadows...

VP3DGoldLogos.jpeg

thejeweler

kinda throwing down the gauntlet with that, ain't ya? ;-)

Actually, it's very well done. My only suggestion would be to make the shadows solid black for better definition/visibility. I like the idea of a softer, more realistic shadow, but in practice they will have more 'presence', or punch, if they're sharply defined in black.

Also, the upper left serifs on the R & B are missing their shadows...

View attachment 44839
Thanks Mitch. Yes, I love how that looks on your work. I did another one similar to this with a harder shadow and I wanted to try the softer shadow. As I look at it now, I also think I should have had just a little more shadow on the B. I'll have to work on my lighting direction.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice...I really like it. Your line work appears to be spot on...nothing like cutting parallel lines to test your skills ... if they are off just the slightest they just scream out. Your graver control is commendable .... Well done. Thanks for sharing your work.

thejeweler

Thank you all. I have to admit, the previous attempt at lined background did not turn out so well. I may be getting a little better but not good enough to be good every time.
I must practice.
I must practice.
I must practice.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all. I have to admit, the previous attempt at lined background did not turn out so well. I may be getting a little better but not good enough to be good every time.
I must practice.
I must practice.
I must practice.
I can relate big time, I get better every day, My Mantra that I put on a sign that I can't help but see when Im sitting at my bench is " SLOW DOWN" after you do " SLOW DOWN SOME MORE". that has been my biggest problem in the past is rushing to see what it will look like, Yeah! It looks like crap because you rushed dummy LOL, I thought I was going slow enough but not until I REALLY slowed my pace did I immediately see vast improvements in my work, It's completely changed the game for me, I even changed the music I listen to while Im cutting, A more relaxing Jazz or even some classical music works great for me.It's just my preference. Speed will come with time I know that and if it doesn't ? oh well, so long as I turn out consistently great work thats all that will matter to me and anyone who I do an engraving for in the future. I really like what you did with the knife super clean work.

thejeweler

Exactly. Slow down, be careful, be consistent. Sounds easy, but I get anxious too to see the finished product.